3arrows

leather belt for old singer

Hey guys, hope all is going well for you.. It's hot down here in Georgia. I need some help with my sewing machine. I have an old singer 29-4 and I need to replace the belt on it. I bought a new leather belt but dont know how to splice it together. How do you measure it to make sure you dont cut it wrong?? The old one had a big wire staple in it holding it togther and Id like to use something better if anybody has any ideas, I love to hear them,,thanks ron

3 ARROWS. USE THE LARGE STAPLE IT WORKS.. USE A SMALL NAIL OR AN AWL TO PUNCH THE HOLE IN THE NEW BELT. MEASURE THE OLD BELT AND CUT THE NEW ONE TO THAT LENGTH...

REMEMBER MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE..........

I have one that has been held together with a small finishing nail bent into a "U" shape and then closed like a staple. I was going to replace the nail with a staple first chance but I forgot about it and that was over 15 years ago. Still ticking!

I would suggest that you cut a small groove in both sides at the ends of the belt for the staple to lay in so that you get a smooth surface. Sometimes you might want to rest your hand on the wheel for slow work and a quick stop and the staple will kind of unnerve you when it hits your hand.

I have used nylon syn. sinew but it seems to give up at random times.

DON"T PLACE THE HOLES FOR THE STAPLES TOO CLOSE TO THE ENDS.

Blake

You can replace the old leather belts, with automotive or air conditioning composite fiber belts, bring the leather belt with you to auto parts or hardware store, to get the right size, they come in different widths, so select one the fits width of your machine pulley.

I've been in hardware sales for several years, and one of ways we came up with a solution for some Amish folk that needed drive belts for their pedal drive sewing machines was to sell them 5/16 size o-ring stock which comes in a 25 foot roll. They said it worked well in that application. By the way, the metal ring that closes the end together does really last for years. Place the hole about 3/16 - 1/4 inch from the ends and it works great. One of my Pfaffs is running with a v-belt cut off and spliced the same way and causes no problem at all. Hope this helps, Earl

I use hog rings for the "staple" to connect the ends of the belting. You can also lap skive and stitch the ends together. It is difficult to keep tight as the leather stretches, so only works well if you can adjust the motor or pully to tighten belt.

Keith

Well I feel stupid!!! I was wondering who the old singer was.

I was expecting, Willie Nelson, Huey Lewis, Billy Idol maybe.

ShirleyZ

they make a round belt spliceing plyers  it cuts it straight punches holes an sets rings go to belt splicers for flat belt  for rings at farm store.