DaltonMasterson

How To Get A Smell Out Of Rawhide Mallet?

I was in the garage today cleaning up for a garage sale, and notice that the lid was off of one of my totes that I take to shows. I keep some scrap pieces of leather, some tools, etc in it and only take it along if I have the truck and extra room. Well, it seems that a stray kitty wandered in and decided the open box was an invitation to use it as a litter box.

So, the scrap leather is toast, and the salvageable is salvaged (not much lost, but...), but my Garland rawhide mallet is very smelly to the point that I have thrown it in the trash twice today.

Is there any solutions to get rid of the smell of urine in rawhide? I rinsed it, but that seems to just have reactivated the smell, and now it is in a bag of baking soda to hopefully help absorb some of it.

Or should I just spend the extra bucks on a new maul and a cat trap.....

Thanks,

DM

PS. Anyone want a soon to be missing stray cat???

Now you know why they dig a hole to bury it. They can't stand the smell either. Frebreeze maybe or pour something that smells better on it.

Fresh air & Sunshine should help.

I circumstances like this I have always found cash to be a good answer. And you would really like a new maul.

Thanks folks. At least it wasnt my ASB maul. I will try some sunshine, but I have doubts that it will smell much better. It flat stinks...

DM

When I moved in a house with the same problem on the carpet I used ammonia at the advice of a friend, and it worked. Why ammonia would get rid of an ammonia smell I have no idea. You could try that, and put it in the fresh air and sunshine like Luke suggested. Not sure it will work but pretty cheap fix. Cheryl

Cat urine is oily, believe it or not, which is why it is so difficult to remove and why the Ammonia worked for Double C. The trouble I see is soaking the rawhide well enough to float out all the urine is likely going to change the texture of the rawhide. Who knows. since natives used urine turned to ammonia to make white leather, it might even tan it. I suppose if you've thrown the thing away a few times it can't hurt to try.

Sudsy Ammonia (found at the dollar store)

then

Vinegar and Baking Soda. (place vinegar in container and soak, then rinse, shake dry... then bury in a box full of baking soda for a few days)

Finally..

A good dousing of Listerine (the old fashioned flavor, if you can find it)

I mean for you to use all three to REALLY get this thing clean.

Go to a pet store and get a bottle of "Get Serious" Its a Stain, odor and pheromone extractor. I always have a bottle around the house. You may have to modify the instructions but it should work. Be sure to warm it in the micro wave. I use a small bottle and just warm up a 1/2 cup or so. Then apply and let it do its magic.

www.getseriousproducts.com It looks like they now have a version just for cat odors. Id try that.

Let me know if it works for you.

Michael