Sign in to follow this  
gone2dogs

Beginner with questions

I have a lot of questions as I am just starting out - I have been making dog collars and leashes.

1. What is a good reference book for coloring leather? I am not happy with the results I am getting yet.

I don't know what products I should be using.

2. What can I use to line a collar to soften it? I don't have any stitching materials, so I could I glue on something?

3. What is a good durable and flexible finish? I have been using Feilbings leather balm with atom wax, after using an eco-flo Antiquing gel.

Thanks!!

Melissa

Melissa, welcome to Leatherworker.net. ^_^ Here are some possible answers to your questions (and I'm sure others will chime in with more help):

1. I don't know of a good book on dyeing leather, but I know Tandy carries lots of books on different subjects. I learned what worked for me by trial and error. I purchased some dye, some stain, and an All-In-One product and played with it until I liked what I saw.

2. I've heard that some folks use felt on the inside of collars, but I suppose you could use just about any soft material like deerskin suede, etc. Gluing it in should work as long as you're using a contact cement or white glue like Leather Weld.

3. Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax is a good finish. I also like Satin Shene, which is a flexible and durable acrylic finish.

As a beginner, you owe it to yourself to try out a whole bunch of different products, because each leatherworker has his or her own preferences and has discovered products that work best under their individual circumstances. I personally dye using Eco-Flo Leather Dye, condition with Neatsfoot Oil, and finish with Satin Shene, but there are many other combinations that'll work just as well!

Good luck, and let us know if you have follow-up questions!

Alex

Melissa,

1st, welcome to leatherworker.net. Lots of very experienced and helpful folks here. I use satin and super sheen and they seem flexible enough...but, I have't made collars.

I would glue(barge,master)contact cement(NOT RUBBER CEMENT) with pigskin. It's super tough and adheres well.Stitch if you can. Don't use elk, soft calf, etc as they will grab the dogs hair a little and won't be smooth. Finish with sno-seal, or some good waterproofer. I think that you are making using/every- day collars and not show collars? Lining a collar won't soften it- it will stiffen it.

ps- I use a product called

Montana Pitch-blend. It's great stuff. Waterproofs and softens. Just google the name

Edited by pete

Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. There are two books I use as reference for coloring leather:

Coloring Leather by Al Stohlman

The Main Technique of Coloring Leather by Peter Main

Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. There are two books I use as reference for coloring leather:

Coloring Leather by Al Stohlman

The Main Technique of Coloring Leather by Peter Main

:notworthy:

My sentiments exactly. I agree 100%.

+1 to other's comments on finishes. Something I've had some success with in a few belts is carnuba cream. It takes a few coats, and you have to work it in well, but it really helps the leather. Atom wax may be along the same lines, but I haven't used it. Neat-lac is a nice finish, if the collar needs to look good.

Melissa,

Ditto on the above books and I would not trust a liner that was glued on for your application. Dogs tend to tug and pull and sweat and shake and scratch at their collars and if you don't want complaints I would make sure your product holds up. If you are going to line the collar I would sew it. OR Look for a Leather that has a very smooth flesh side. I have seen leather like that but I don't know what type it is. Many times thin leather is glued flesh side to flesh side creating two smooth surfaces. That would glue up better then a lining. Just some thoughts... :)

I ve got the al stohlman book/booklet it does exactly what it says on the tin, never read the Peter main, yet,i will add it to my list.

Thanks guys