Talfuchre

How To Chose The Proper Thread And Needles For Hand Stitching.

Hello all.

I would like to ask you all who do (or have done) hand stitching and ask about what thread to pick up. I use primarily 8 ounce or so leather and am getting into inlays and thinner items around 2 to 3 ounce leather or so.

I have been using Tandy Leather's stitching awl thread (with is a 3 cord Nylon type cordage) and have found that to work well for the borders of my sheath and the like. I have been trying to discern what weight it is and thing it is right around a 207 weight cord.

In trying to determine what to use I have been suggested to use a Linen from Barbours but again I am having trouble discerning the weight of these threads as well.

So - I am asking those who do hand sewing - what cords and weights do you use in your hand stitching? What would you recommend for the applications I am trying to use them for?

Thanks a ton.

TF

Always wondered why America measures the size of thread and leather by weight.. Breaking strain maybe?

Anyway, This is only my opinion, and you will find your own favourite thread, but for upto 4 - 5mm leather I use 1mm braided polyester thread. 0.8mm for thinner stuff. Rule of thumb is the bigger/thicker the item, the wider the stitching, the thicker the thread, but I encourage you to break the rules now and then :)

Also note it depends on how wide your stitching is, for 4 per inch a very thin thread may look out of place.

I'm mostly using 00 harness needles and 346 thread from Tippmann. I'm stitching 8-9 oz and making holsters. The only thread I like better than this is the waxed thread from Silver Creek Leather Company. I get that at Hobby Lobby. Most of the stuff I ordered online seemed a bit too thick.