Bar C Leather

Preferred Machine

I've been working with leather for about 13 years. About 8 years ago I moved up in the world from hand stitching to a Tippmann Boss hand stitcher (whoo hoo!!). It usually gets the job done but rarely very neatly in my experience. It is not quite versatile enough for me any more. The rest of my work has greatly improved in quality while I feel the machine stitching is lacking.

I've been looking for a more versatile machine that will produce quality and consistency. The Boss doesn't seem to handle the lighter materials very well (or I just haven't figured out how). I want something that will neatly sew extremely light to extremely heavy leather. There are of course the Adler machines in my Weaver catalog that are a bit out of reach financially.... then I've been looking at the Artisan Toro And the Cobra Class 3. Are there any comparable to these two out there that I'm missing? What do you sew with and what do you recommend? Do any of these machines do decorative stitching?

Many, Many Thanks in Advance!!

Natalie

I've been looking for a more versatile machine that will produce quality and consistency.

... I want something that will neatly sew extremely light to extremely heavy leather.

... I've been looking at the Artisan Toro And the Cobra Class 3.

Are there any comparable to these two out there that I'm missing? What do you sew with and what do you recommend?

Do any of these machines do decorative stitching?

Natalie

Natalie;

There is another brand you should look into: The Cowboy line of stitchers sold by Bob Kovar, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He is a member of this forum. His phone number is: 866-362-7397. The Cowboy stitchers are every bit as good as the others who were thinking about, but they have an additional advantage: the Cowboy machines all have stainless steel throat plates and pressor feet, to prevent darkening moist veg-tan leather. Some folks like to sew with the leather still wet from stamping or shaping it and the plain steel feet on most machines may tarnish light colored moist leather. His prices are neck and neck with the others of this category of machine. Bob also sells other brands of new and used industrial sewing machines.

All of these machines will do decorative stitching, because they all come equipped with easily controllable servo motors and speed reducers. You can get a table attachment for the cylinder arm stitchers, to keep the material flat for decorative stitching and flat work. Each company sells their own table attachment.

If you have a lot of flat work and decorative stitching, ask about the Cowboy or Cobra line of flatbed machines. They sell for about one third of what an Adler goes for.

There are other brands you can investigate, including Techsew, sold by Raphael Sewing Machines. Greg, from Keystone Sewing, also has some nice stitchers, from Consew, Juki, Highlead and other makers, plus some really neat motors.

I'd recommend the Cobra Class 3. I have two of the Artisan Toro 3000's (essentially the same machine) and that style of machine does everything I need - from thin to thick. I see that you're in central FL. I'm just outside of Tampa. You're welcome to come by my shop and check out my machines, if you'd like. Give me a call at our shop - www.kdholsters.com - or send me an email - kevin ((AT)) kdholsters .... com.

<<snip>> I've been looking at the Artisan Toro And the Cobra Class 3. Are there any comparable to these two out there that I'm missing? What do you sew with and what do you recommend? Do any of these machines do decorative stitching?

Very pleased with the FERDCO Pro TK-1245. http://www.ferdco.com/

Ferdco TK-1245 has ( http://www.ferdco.com/2/5.php ):

* 5/8' of presser foot lift

* Sews up to 1/2' of leather or material.

* Walking Foot (triple feed)

* Forward & Reverse Stitching

* Adjustable stitch length from 3 to 12 stitches per inch

* 11 & 1/2' of work space

* High Lift for sewing bulky materials

* Uses Thread Sizes, 69, 92, 99, 138, 207

* Needle System is a 190R for material or a 190LR or D for Leather

* Speed - up to 2200 stitches per minute

* Saftey clutch

* Self-Lubricating Hook

* Zipper feet available

* Welt feet available

* Ferdco Pro TK-1245 Machine only - $1495.00

* Ferdco Pro TK-1245 Complete - $1995.00

The TK-1245 is a medium weight flatbed sewing machine.

The TK-1245 is designed for sewing much heavier than regular chap or upholstery sewing machines.

The TK-1245 is a walking foot, or triple feed sewng machine. The presser feet on top alternate for the top feed, the needle feeds and you also have the feed dog or lower feed. The combination of the three different feeding mechanisms create the most positive feed available in a sewing machine.

Natalie, i don't think your going to find one machine that sew really thin leather to really heavy leather. I have a Juki Pro 2000 that will sew two thickness of chap leather to 7/8 inch heavy leather. It's a great machine but it won't sew really thin leather.

Thank you all!

Kevin- It was really nice talking with you and I look forward to paying you a visit as soon as possible!

Wizcrafts- Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Cowboy and I'm going to contact Bob to learn about those machines; I like to be sure I know as much as I can about all my options before making a purchase. I don't do a lot of decorative stitching but definitely want to have the option if I need to, so it's good to know that most can.

Dirtclod - I'm starting to think that since I need a new home sewing machine too, I might just have to get a heavier duty one that can pitch in with some garment leather etc!! Thanks.

Stelmackr - I looked at this machine and it looks like a nice one. Unfortunately I'd like something that could accommodate thicker than 1/2 inch and heavier than 207 thread since I'm getting into saddle making and do more heavy work than light. Looked at some of their bigger machines and they are out of my price range. Thank you so much for the information!

The limiting factor is thread and needle size capacity for the machine. The big machines that can do saddle work well use needles that are too big for the fine stitching on thin leather. The small machines have a maximum size needle that is too small for saddle work.

Most leather garments and chaps are best sewn on a flat bed, roller or walking foot machine. Harness, bridles, leashes, saddlebags and holsters are best sewn on a cylinder arm machine, with a walking or jumping foot and needle feed.