ramblinrovers

Old Craftool Beveler B200, Mod Or No?

So, I have this old craftool beveler, the B200, that I wanted to modify into a sheridan beveler (just put a steeper angle on it) cause I don't have one of those but lots of time. But then I thought maybe I better ask the experts here whether or not modifying one of the GOOD craftool stamps was a good idea, or if I might wreck something by doing so. I'm not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to things like this, though I have made some pretty ugly stamps of my own. Actually, this seems rather dumb, what could be wrong with that anyway? But it took me so long to type out I can't bring myself to erase it, and then anyways, it might not be as dumb as I think it is, and I'm no expert... So anyhow, your input? :whatdoyouthink: ~J

If it is your tool, you can do whatever you want to it. But, it would be just as easy, and better to use a stainless bolt.

You can get much of the same effect of the steeper beveler just by tilting the tool towards you when you strike it. I would probably leave the tool alone and see if I could achieve the result just by tilting it. However, if I was going to try to modify the tool I would do like Electrathon says above and start with a bolt or nail, grinding the surface down to see what you can make. I wouldn't recommend starting with the existing beveler just because if your not experienced at grinding tools it will probably take you a few tries to get something your happy with.

You can get much of the same effect of the steeper beveler just by tilting the tool towards you when you strike it. I would probably leave the tool alone and see if I could achieve the result just by tilting it. However, if I was going to try to modify the tool I would do like Electrathon says above and start with a bolt or nail, grinding the surface down to see what you can make. I wouldn't recommend starting with the existing beveler just because if your not experienced at grinding tools it will probably take you a few tries to get something your happy with.

Yeah, I have made my own figure carving tools that weren't terribly bad and I have got some of them polished, yesterday I made a variation of an undercut beveler (a petal lifter you use like a stamping tool I guess, sorta) out of an old screwdriver which I am quite happy with. It turned out real nice if I say so myself. B) But I don't ever use that B200 anyway as I have another one so I might just try an do somethin' with it. Thanks ya guys, fer answering. :wave: ~J

Edited by ramblinrovers