King's X

You Rock! Mr. Bob Park (Hidepounder)

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

I have silently watching the thread about how to finish your edges. I also took careful note to your way of doing your edges and I have to tell you that I copied the information or process and printed it out. It now sits on the wall in front of my 'tap-tap' desk.

I had a portfolio that was very special to me and I wanted the edges to come out near perfect. I had been looking at your receipe and decided to go for it. I gathered all of the items that I could with my hobbyist budget (unfortunately the Weaver didn't fit) and started on my way. Now, it did not come out perfect, but pretty darn close!! All by hand....The shoulders hurt like a mother, but looking and rubbing on those edges make the pain worth while.

I appreciate you sharing your tips with those newbie's. It is individuals like you that will keep this craft going long after we turn this over to the next generation.

I rank you up there now with SCISSORMEDIC. You talk about getting a sharp edge on a swivel knife...shoot...he's the man and so are you!!

Thanks again,

A learning student.

:red_bandana:

Pictures? (I have been watching and learning too!)

I will but it will have to wait for tomorrow. I am going to post the recipe here and I hope H/P is okay with it. I just copied his thread and placed into a word document. I gave him credit at the bottom.

Process_for_Burnished_Edges.doc

Process_for_Burnished_Edges.doc

Thanks for sharing Kings X..and thanks Bob off course!

Tom

Sorry it took too long, but here are the photographs that I quickly took before I had to turn the portfolio over to the new owner. Interesting enough, the new owner rubbed the edges as soon I placed it in their hands and said slick, really smooth. Thanks again, Mr. Park!

:grouphug5vj5:

P6163250.JPG

P6163251.JPG

P6163255.JPG

P6163257.JPG

post-6330-1245372723_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1245372755_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1245372780_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1245372809_thumb.jpg

Edited by King's X

King's X,

I'm really glad my process has worked for you! I have learned so much here and it is really nice to know that something I've shared has helped others in return. Keep up the good work and thank you for the recognition...I'm humbled by your comments!

Bob

I love the background how is that done? please!

I love the background how is that done? please!

I appreciate the comments. The background is no more than a pear shader hit repeatively while turning it approximately 30 degrees after each hit. I found this with Herman Oak leather that I have to keep the core damp, but not soaked to get some good burnish. I am almost finished carving the attache case that will be matching this portfolio for the same person. The edges came out really cool. I only wish I could afford the Weaver set up, but after all I am only a hobbyist at this.

I hope I answered your question, but just in case you were talking about the backgrounding behind the flowers; I used a TLF A-104 backgrounder.

Thanks again.

GREAT WORK! Just BEEUTEEFUL!!

And Bob Park rocks the country with his work and techniques... none better.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

GREAT WORK! Just BEEUTEEFUL!!

And Bob Park rocks the country with his work and techniques... none better.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you Ms. Bree. I just finished carving the attache case and I hope to start oiling it tomorrow and dye the background on Monday. Then the finish will begin with the BPark touch to the edges. Maybe next weekend it will be done. I am glad I was able to deliver the portfolio for Father's day.

Thank you Ms. Bree. I just finished carving the attache case and I hope to start oiling it tomorrow and dye the background on Monday. Then the finish will begin with the BPark touch to the edges. Maybe next weekend it will be done. I am glad I was able to deliver the portfolio for Father's day.

I really like your portfolio! But I do have questions (and I'm not sure what to call the parts, so I will try to describe, and learn)

When you attach the spine(?) to the cover, how do you punch the holes if you don't have a sewing machine for it?

When you oil it, what do you use and how do you apply it? I have some of the Bee Natural oil. The first time I used, I used to much, and you could just about wring it out. The second time, it came out very blotchy.

Milli

I really like your portfolio! But I do have questions (and I'm not sure what to call the parts, so I will try to describe, and learn)

When you attach the spine(?) to the cover, how do you punch the holes if you don't have a sewing machine for it?

When you oil it, what do you use and how do you apply it? I have some of the Bee Natural oil. The first time I used, I used to much, and you could just about wring it out. The second time, it came out very blotchy.

Milli

Hi Milli,

I call it a spine, also, don't know if that's correct or not. Anyway, I machine stitch everything. When I attach the spine to the leaves, I glue them with Barge, then sew.

I use Neatsfoot or Olive Oil. I use a trimmed piece of woolskin and start out VERY lightly, continuously working in circles and concentarating on getting a even application. When I start, it doesn't look like much is going on, but it is. I've never used the Bee Natural, but I hear it is good stuff.

Hope this helps,

Bob

PS....I do all my background dying before I oil....

Edited by hidepounder

Milli:

I have to correct myself. I do all background dying before oiling as well. Something I learned here. I handstitch all of my own work. I use a manual punch pliers from Japan that punches three holes at a time in a diamond shape at a slant. It barely cuts the the leather on top and bottom and on rare moments I will have to use my awl. Prior to getting these pliers, I used a C.S. Osborne 4-point punch, but it made the holes too big so I switched.

In his project, I had to stitch the circle logo and spine or gussett first before attaching the interior cover before progressing. I hope it helps. Thanks for the nice comments, but the edges are great because of Hide Pounder!!

Milli:

I have to correct myself. I do all background dying before oiling as well. Something I learned here. I handstitch all of my own work. I use a manual punch pliers from Japan that punches three holes at a time in a diamond shape at a slant. It barely cuts the the leather on top and bottom and on rare moments I will have to use my awl. Prior to getting these pliers, I used a C.S. Osborne 4-point punch, but it made the holes too big so I switched.

In his project, I had to stitch the circle logo and spine or gussett first before attaching the interior cover before progressing. I hope it helps. Thanks for the nice comments, but the edges are great because of Hide Pounder!!

Ya know, I forgot to say that I am going to try the edge "recipe". I haven't had a lot of luck with my edges so far. They are "all right", but not where I want them. I can't wait to have some time to get back to my leather room and work. (maybe if I got off the computer...but then, how would I learn!?)

Thanks for all the help!

Milli

King's X,

I owe you an apoplogy! Milli was asking you a question and I posted an answer!!!???? Sometimes my enthusiasm takes over and I get carried away. I didn't realize I had done this until I was reading the thread again today. Anyway, I really didn't mean to hijack your thread and I apologize to you and Milli for doing so....I can be a bucketmouth sometimes!!!!!!

:oops:

Bob

Edited by hidepounder

King's X,

I owe you an apoplogy! Milli was asking you a question and I posted an answer!!!???? Sometimes my enthusiasm takes over and I get carried away. I didn't realize I had done this until I was reading the thread again today. Anyway, I really didn't mean to hijack your thread and I apologize to you and Milli for doing so....I can be a bucketmouth sometimes!!!!!!

Bob

No apology necessary. Your answer would be better than mine. You are more than welcome to join and answer. Please don't think twice about it. I do appreciate the response though.

Thanks I think its awsome!

Thanks I think its awsome!

Thanks for the comments, I hope it helps you.

Thanks for the comments, I hope it helps you.

Thanks again King's X, It helped me a ton, I wish I can return the favor some day!, All the best!

Edited by bigorange