malabar

Yard Sale Sewing Machine

So our fledgling business already has a Cobra Class 4 that we use for sewing holsters and three-layer gunbelts, and I've pondered getting a second.

But my wife came home from a yard sale the other day with a Singer 16u288 that she got for $250 at a yard sale. She's sewn some test on it and it seems to stitch lighter leather OK. Clearly it would not take the place of a Cobra Class 4, but I'm wondering if it might be of use for doing some lighter work.

But I've got a couple of questions.

First, is there a way to control the speed of this machine? It has an enormous motor that runs whenever it is powered up. Pushing the foot pedal appears to activate a mechanical clutch and the machine takes off a a flying clip. Is there any way to change speed short of changing the fly wheels?

Anyone use one of these for leather stitching? Your thoughts?

many thanks

tk

try here for a little more general info

a smaller pulley on the motor will help..

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/singer/16u.htm

You have a clutch motor. Servo motors are easier to handle, only if the machine will do what you expect though.

ferg

Hi,

here you have an instruction manual from Singer : http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/16U288.pdf.

It has a upper and lower feed, some will call it a walking foot machine. However, it is not a triple feed like your Cobra 4. It has a feed dog and a upper feeding foot who both are independently adjusted. Thats not a good thing if you do not need it; every time you want to change your stitch length you must adjust both feeds equally.

It does not have the needle feed that is so important on a leather machine. You would have to choose where you want it to mark up your leather; top or bottom.

If you equip it with a smooth feed dog you need to have a serrated feeding foot, or the other way around. It need to feed the material with something and with out a needle feed it will mark up your leather.

It will work on fabric and upholstery type of leather, from size 16 to 25 Singer needle size (system 16x63 and 16x64 Singer), Thats not bad. Anyway, I would look for a triple feed machine if you need it for wegtan leather.

Tor