Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

3 ring binder cover

"Sweetie" asked me if I could make a 3 ring binder cover. I'm sure I can the only problem is I have no idea how. I would like to have it turn out with a western, vaquero type theme to it. Anyone have any suggestion as to how to procede.

Thank you in adavance for your time and opinions

Rob Gerbitz

1st ? what does sweety want to put in the binder?

I 'm sure others may know a sourse for plans for making binders. Not sure what I used to do my first one years ago. I do have some pics depending how extravagnt you want to get. The simple ones you basically get the dementions you want for the item you want to cover. When closed you want to measure from the point that the pages attach at the ring, as the ring adds to the distance from the back of the spine to the outer edge of the page. I lay this all out on card stock first just make sure everything is working out. You want to measure the width of your ring and add a bit so the front and back cover don't leave ware marks on the inside from the rings. You want to find where you want your bends to be.Depending on the thickness of the leather you use you will probably want to use a gouge to make relief cuts for the bends. Decide it you are going to line the inside that will add a few more steps.

As for attaching the binder, (you want to get a good quality one or it will fall apart on you pretty quicky) there is a special rivit you usually need to use or the rings won't hold right. You might be able to get a sample set of binder and rivits from Ohio Travel Bag but they normally sell that stuff in quantity. Someone else here may have ideas.

As for the western theme, only your imagination will hold you back.

I lost the picks of my last one but the front I tooled the well known circle with three Arabian horse heads. On the back I tooled a picture of the customer's Arab stalion head on an inside pocket I tooled a siloette of her stallion rearing on a masa. Did a bead and border stamp. The inside had card holders a clipboard clip for legal pad, a pocket for loose papers and pouch for glasses and whatnots and a couple pen loops on the spine, with a zippered closure. This lady sells adds for a country news paper she publishes and uses this for taking orders.This one didn't have a binder.

The big one(circle 5) in the pics was for a contractor's business binder. Nowa days you'd add a pocket for a PDA or such. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Sorry, forgot to resize the first one. GH

Cyrcle_5_Binder.jpg

Contractor_Binder.jpg

Cover_Rugar.jpg

post-5156-1200885283_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1200885508_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1200885615_thumb.jpg

Here's some more pics of an expirament gone wrong. This is one that I mis measured. With the ring binder in place the note book stuck out too far to close the cover. The expirament was the celtic carving, I wanted to see how it would look in leather as it was mostly done in stone in the early days. The ring binder is not in it cause I put it in a different cover.The slot in the left inside pannel is to slip the back of a note pad or reciept book into.

binder_1.bmp

binder_1.bmp

Edited by Hidemechanic

"Sweetie" asked me if I could make a 3 ring binder cover.

There is a Members Only issue of the RawHide Gazette, from the Puget Sound Leather Artisans Co-Op (PSLAC), that describes the construction of a durable three ring binder. The issue is normally for PSLAC members only (a whopping $10 a year ;-) and can be found, along with many other articles at: http://www.pslac.org/ in the members section. There are also 14 years of the monthly public issues of the RawHide Gazette that have tips, ideas and projects. OK, OK, enough of this shameless promotion ;-) Here is an issue for you to see one way to make leather three ring binders.

3_ring_binder.pdf

3_ring_binder.pdf

Good idea Bob, it's always better to be able to things in the works. There are also verious types of book and binder projects in saddlers and leathercrafters journal.

I have some copies, I need to check to see if they have those articles. GH

"Sweetie" asked me if I could make a 3 ring binder cover. I'm sure I can the only problem is I have no idea how. I would like to have it turn out with a western, vaquero type theme to it. Anyone have any suggestion as to how to procede.

Thank you in adavance for your time and opinions

Rob Gerbitz

The first 3 MAJOR projects that I attempted was a 3 ring. All I did was measure out a rectangle 12x24. I took a $1.00 plastic 3 ring from a dollar store and pulled out the rivets. The 3 rings was plenty sturdy enough and looked fine for the albums.

Mark your center line on the flesh side and make lines on each side for a total width of 2". I mark the lines about 1/16 apart.

Then groove a line deeply down the center. Next, groove the 2 outer lines and THEN the remaining lines. You now have 4-6 grooves and the outer ones are parallel. Lastly, take a french groover and simply "chisel" out the 2" gap until it is a 2" channel approx. 1/2 the thickness of the leather. This is a good width for a 3 ring when closed and no interior marks.

ps- I replace the old rivets with chicago posts. They fit perfectly.

pete

Edited by pete

Thank you for the pointers guys. Looks like I'm going to have to get some new tools before I go to far, oh darn.

Rob