equiss

Help: Contact Cement Blues...

Hi all - I had a leather corner plate that I tooled and glued down on a Mayatex wool san juan saddle pad; 100% woven wool pad....When I went to sew it, I had some problems, so I had to take the decorative leather off - I don't want to tool it again, but is there any way to remove the contact cement off of the pad so I can sell the pad....or am I going to be forced to tool 2 more corner plates to fit over the top of where I originally glued the first two down before I tried to sew them down?

The residue isn't bad - just a tad bit sticky and enough to see that something was there....but there has to be a way to get this stuff off?

Charlene

You could try Tandy's #868 Universal Cement Thinner. I'd put some on a rough fabric like canvas and rub lightly at the area in a circular motion. It has worked for me on other things...never tried it on wool. It does have a strong odor and I don't know if you can was the pad or not, but if you can, I would afterwards.

Good luck,

Dave

Charlene,

Everytime I have tried to fix a minor wreck I made it worse. If it was me I would tool some generic looking basket stamped corners and peddle it or donate it to a benefit auction. . If I was getting more custom orders in the pipeline, I would wait and have it for an order. Trying to remove contact cement from fabric isn't easy. I have a shirt that has had some on it for a couple years. The thinner took the color out, and just thinned the glue enough to spread and make a bigger spot.

Charlene,

Everytime I have tried to fix a miorn wreck I made it worse. If it was me I would tool some generic looking basket stamped corners and peddle it or donate it to a benefit auction. . If I was getting more custom orders in the pipeline, I would wait and have it for an order. Trying to remove contact cement from fabric isn't easy. I have a shirt that has had some on it for a couple years. The thinner took the color out, and just thinned the glue enough to spread and make a bigger spot.

Thanks Bruce, that is what I was afraid of.. ...I don't know why, but when I went to sew on the corner pieces, my sewing machine "bunched" up and the material didn't feed through the machine evenly, so the stitching was all messed up....so I had to pick the corner plates off; it was a lot of work to tool them, i was pretty proud of them, all to be ruined by the machine. Pretty frustrating. I guess I could just hold on to the pad and put it back in my unfinished project's bin and one day get back to making corner plates for it again; it is just so frustrating to spend that much time tooling something, then ruin it with the sewing machine. I also tried putting paper bag on the back side when I sewed it; someone had recommended that, then peel the bag away - that didn't work well either :0(.

Thanks again.

Charlene

Hi all - I had a leather corner plate that I tooled and glued down on a Mayatex wool san juan saddle pad; 100% woven wool pad....When I went to sew it, I had some problems, so I had to take the decorative leather off - I don't want to tool it again, but is there any way to remove the contact cement off of the pad so I can sell the pad....or am I going to be forced to tool 2 more corner plates to fit over the top of where I originally glued the first two down before I tried to sew them down?

The residue isn't bad - just a tad bit sticky and enough to see that something was there....but there has to be a way to get this stuff off?

Charlene

id just put some blank corner plates in.