Jarhead84

Making Buffalo Nickel Snaps

I plan on making my own buffalo nickel snaps. Does anyone have any experience with solder versus epoxy to do this. Basically what would be the most durable way to do this? Thanks, Mark

Is this in the wrong topic or has no one ever tried to make their own?

I plan on making my own buffalo nickel snaps. Does anyone have any experience with solder versus epoxy to do this. Basically what would be the most durable way to do this? Thanks, Mark

Hmmm... I've not tried it and I don't know anyone who has. I know that there is one guy who makes an embossing die to decorate Rivets. Maybe something like that would do what you need right on your silver toned snap faces?? He calls them "Branded Rivet Domers" They are expensive (IMHO) but I like the concept.

I do it. Use a soft silver solder and a good flux. heat the coin to a nice dull orange, then carefully place the snap piece and heat them both to a slightly cleaner orange apply the solder and allow to cool on its own. Do not dunk it in water. it will distort the thinner snap attachment. buff the coin and attach to your project.

Jallen

PS I dome my coins using a domer set from Harbor Freight before this process.

Edited by J Allen

i'll do the same thing to the backside of copper rivets. they solder nicely to a nickel or wheat penny.

i gotta try to do it to snaps. that is a great idea.

I do it. Use a soft silver solder and a good flux. heat the coin to a nice dull orange, then carefully place the snap piece and heat them both to a slightly cleaner orange apply the solder and allow to cool on its own. Do not dunk it in water. it will distort the thinner snap attachment. buff the coin and attach to your project.

Jallen

PS I dome my coins using a domer set from Harbor Freight before this process.

Ok, Thanks, that sounds like the route I'll take with the solder. I have been using an arbor press and a ball bearing to dome them, I will have to check Harbor Freight on a domer.

I use the doming set from my jewelry tool supplier Rio Grande but I bet it is the same thig as the HF set. Before i start working the metal I grind it flat on the bottom then rough it up a bit so it has something to hang onto then I rough the tops of the snaps with some 80 grit sandpaper then I use 2 part epoxy. haven't had a failure and I have really worked them over to see if I could get the coin to come off.