Timbo

Advice on building my first saddle

Okay, so I am really wanting to learn to build saddles and am thinking about what I would like to build first. What I really would like to build is an old time slick fork or "A" fork saddle. What is the difference between the two??

I am looking at the Bowden catalog online and can't tell much diff between the two of them.

I also like the Wade trees and all the variations they come in but..........I really want to do Sam Stagg rigging, which is why I am looking at the A forks and slick forks.

What advise can you guys offer me on my first endeavor??

Am I biting off more than I can chew??

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tim

slick fork and an A fork are basicly the same thing...they are called that cause there is virtually no swell to the fork...and look like an A if you look at them from the rear..

it is a good choice for a first saddle because covering the fork is VERY easy. and forks that have a lot of swell are sometimes tough to cover without a welt and sometimes it can't be done without one.

as far a sam stagg rigging.or a fork rigging or horn rigging..I don't know your skill at leather work but maybe a touch difficult for a beginner..but hey its all about learning right...most of my saddles either have inskirt rigging...dropped flat plate...or rigged with dees

Dave

Edited by YRsaddles

Do you have any resourses on the how tos, or someont to help walk you through the steps?

My first saddle was a slick fork on a tree that my bro.in-law used to cowboy on for the a coulpe ranches east of here.(Origional saddle was made in a small town NE of me)

Next was a bowman, I was able to learn to work the leather on those swells without a welt. Later did a low moose where I did a stitched welt. Later did laced welts. I have always enjoyed molding with out welts when I could, always seems a challenge to get a nice cover done smooth and no wrinckles.GH

Reisacker.jpg

post-5156-1201111283_thumb.jpg

Well, actually no, it turns out I don't have someone to walk me thru...........but then again, I've got access to some of the best right here in this forum!!

I got an PM from Don earlier and he sent me some excellent links to go thru. Can't wait to read them.

The above pic is pretty close to what I want to build the first time out. I might go with a half seat though. Then again the loop seat is pretty sweet too.

Not sure yet.

Thanks for all the advice.

Tim

Maybe someone else here is better at it than I am but it seems a bit diffacult to teach someone from scratch how to build a saddle long distance. Not knowing your abilities and apptitude and such.I think having a more personal relationship to someone makes it a lot easier to mentor.

I suggest you do as others have done and are doing here,researching the books and DVDs on saddle making.This will give you a good basis of understanding that will help you better apply what is offered by a mentor. Keep digging, you'll get there. GH

Books are going to have to be my teacher. I can't afford any saddle schools and can't afford to miss work to go to them either. I think my skill level is pretty good. A local saddlemaker saw my work and offered to teach me how to make saddles, but he doesn't do it full time and when push comes to shove doesn't have time to teach me. He is also the only maker in the area that I know of too. So I'm pretty much relegated to book learning. I know it would be best to have a mentor to work with, but, it appears that is not an option. I have done alot of research on it for the past couple of years and have learned alot, most recently from this forum. Every little piece of info helps and adds to the knowledge base.

Tim

Well I'd still try to at least hang out with the saddlemaker you know and see what you can glean from him as he works.(you'll see the turms you hear come to life)

Aside from that I would suggest you get ahold of a saddle or two that you can carefully tare down, see how things work. Apply your book learning to what you see and put the saddle back together. You gotta get your feet wet but starting from scratch with a brand new saddle could end up more costly and frustrating in the long run because of mistakes you will inevitable make. You know that saddle I posted the picture of?

I probably built that thing three times. I didn't like the way something was going so I tore it off and did a new one. That happened with several pieces of the saddle.

But I must say that was not the first saddle I had worked on. I did many repairs before that, each one becoming more involved than the next to the point that I was able to uderstand the 'makings' of a saddle. If you do use other saddles you need to learn the dif between the short cuts that commercial saddle co. use as opposed to how a custom saddle is done.

Keep learning but try not to get so axious that you skip some important steps.

I have no doubt that you have confidance in your abilities, and you may surpraise everyone with your first saddle. Good luck. GH

Tim,

Call up Jeremiah Watt and order his saddle making Videos. It will be the best money you will spend. You will learn alot more from him than a book. I believe there is an old issue of Leather Crafters Journal that went over Sam Stagg Riggins as well, you might want to call them up and get that issue as well

Ashley

Tim,

Call up Jeremiah Watt and order his saddle making Videos. It will be the best money you will spend. You will learn alot more from him than a book. I believe there is an old issue of Leather Crafters Journal that went over Sam Stagg Riggins as well, you might want to call them up and get that issue as well

Ashley

Ya know, I only have 2 issues of the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal, and one of them is the issue that shows how to Sam Stagg rig a saddle. I have read and reread that article many times and studied the pics for hours. For the most part it is that article and that saddle that first sparked my interest in making saddles.

I'll check into the Jeremiah Watt video's too. I admire his talent and ability very much. He has a very unique carving style too. Some of his flowers mystify me as to how he does them.

Thanks Ashley,

Tim

My advice (being new to this to) is to order the tree ASAP, i just placed my first order with bowden yesterday and they said it would be ten weeks. every one else i talked to said longer.what does he charge for that video

I looked it up and don't remember the exact price but it was waaaaayyy out of my reach. I am sure it would be priceless for the info it contains, I just can't afford priceless. I think the advice on buying the saddle tree is good and I'll probably do that. Its easier to picture how things work when you have something besides pictures to look at.

thanks

tim

What you pay for a tree is about half what you would pay for JW's vids, you ought to hang in a little longer and save for the vids.

I hate to think how much you'll spend on leather to get your first tree done learning on your own.

Don't know that the subject has come up for you yet but you will likely spend a good 450-500 bucks on leather(the good stuff)plus your hardware and what, 200 for your tree? Don't know what Bowden sells their kit for but either way just your materials for your first saddle is probably going to run a big chunk-o-change(does sound familiar now).GH

Before the crash I started a list of basic tools that someone would need to build a saddle. If I can get some time I will try to start up the tread again with what I think you would need. I would advise anyone on starting a saddle for their first major project be aware that you are going to have I would say at least $2000.00 invested with materials and basic tools.

Some might think that Jeremiah's DVD's are out of reach, but they will save you a lot of head ache. I worked in a saddle shop for 3 yrs, before I built my first saddle. If you do not have any one there to coach you, I would raise the cost of the saddle to $2500, if your as picky as me. On the other hand you can build a saddle with a pocket knife and a hole punch, but are you going to be happy with it, ie" looks and fit"

That is just my 2 cents

Ashley

I sure agree with Ashley. Before I built my first complete saddle, I had spent 30 years making my living horseback, 15 years making tack and chaps, plus doing saddle repairs. I had also spent a winter working in a saddle shop. While studying and preparing to build that first saddle, I purchased videos from Jeremiah Watt and Bruce Cheney.......and the Stohlman series of books. I found all helpful, but probably the Watt videos and the Stohlman books the most. Good pointers here as well, and I got helpful ideas visiting with established makers, like Ashley. My advice is to save and/or find the money to buy the Watt dvds and Stohlman books. There's 5 cents worth, adjusted for inflation.

Timbo,

I built my first saddle just using Dusty Johnson's book and video with no prior saddle making/repair experience or outside help. It is not the prettiest thing and I will definitely do some things different on my next one, but it is a good using saddle that has held up well. If you're wanting to get your feet wet and get one built this is a good route to go. At least it was for me.