Sign in to follow this  

bike seats

You guys are probably tired of seeing all these bike seats by now....If so speak up and I will cease and desist.

These will leave my shop tomorrow morning headed for Arizona.

Tonight I get to start a couple of non-production line seats.....one of a kind type of seats.... They are always more fun.

Dave

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

post-327-1178665094_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178665114_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178665130_thumb.jpg

post-327-1178665146_thumb.jpg

Do NOT cease and desist. I love seeing your work, and anyone who doesn't want to see it can skip the click. David, thank you for sharing! It's folks like you that make this a fun place to hang out.

:)

Johanna

you have really been busy dave!

i bet you can't wait to get going on the one of a kind stuff

are they going to be on the same pan or something different?

Edited by beezachoppa

you have really been busy dave!

i bet you can't wait to get going on the one of a kind stuff

are they going to be on the same pan or something different?

Hey Beeze,

They are going to be on the same old pan, after all they are going on Sucker Punch bikes; but it is entirely different, non production line, art work..... sometimes I think I could tool those production line things in my sleep.

One of them is going to be one of those fancy basketweave laced with lots of extra stitching and lacing etc. It will be a dragon coiled around a sword. Very detailed and different for me. The other is a simple alien looking skull. And ya gotta love drooling skulls .... right? Yeah right, me either but that is what the guy brought in for art work.

The owners are supposed to be doing some new production line art work; But they've been saying that for months.

Just curious Beeze, about how many seats do you produce in a month? You too Shirley if you read this. I'm trying to get some sort of handle on our business. I don't know how many of us seats-only leather workers there are out there, I'd love to know how many of us there are and how many are really full time leather workers with no "other" job.

Dave

Edited by David

Do NOT cease and desist. I love seeing your work, and anyone who doesn't want to see it can skip the click. David, thank you for sharing! It's folks like you that make this a fun place to hang out.

:)

Johanna

Thanks Johanna, I'll keep posting then. Hope to meet some of you folks sometime. It would be more fun than a high school reunion.....ha ha just went to one of those.....wow what a real attitude adjustment that was. There was only one guy there out of all my old friends who seemed somewhat normal. He was an avid biker and a federal judge....go figure.

Thanks for all you do here,

Dave

Just curious Beeze, about how many seats do you produce in a month? You too Shirley if you read this. I'm trying to get some sort of handle on our business. I don't know how many of us seats-only leather workers there are out there, I'd love to know how many of us there are and how many are really full time leather workers with no "other" job.

Dave

depends on lots of factors. i work a full time job and have a three year old son to chase around. i generally start around seven and work till i finish up what i'm doing so if it's tooling or lacing or getting the cover installed. it gets done before i turn in for the night. sometimes it's between 12 and 1am.

i try to complete a seat a week and start another. if they are smaller seats, i can complete two and start a third. i am a bit bummed at the moment as i have been busy for months and now i have caught up. i have a seat to finish this week and a couple small bags for next week and nothing coming in after that.

in a pinch i can turn a seat around in a weekend. i think i have done around 75 seats in the last three years

stinks cause i really depend on the income just to make the bills

nice stuff asusual david its interesting to hear how long it takes you guys as i was wondering if i was slow as it took me around 35 hrs to compleet the seat i did, but i spent most of the time desighning and working out the template than actually on the leather work

nice stuff asusual david its interesting to hear how long it takes you guys as i was wondering if i was slow as it took me around 35 hrs to compleet the seat i did, but i spent most of the time desighning and working out the template than actually on the leather work

not including the artwork. most of my seats are completed in 10 to 15 hours.

i have done smaller solo seats with a simple design in 8 hours

not including the artwork. most of my seats are completed in 10 to 15 hours.

i have done smaller solo seats with a simple design in 8 hours

My seats require me to spend 25-30 hours....that is a function of the lacing that I use....rather than wet molding. The SPS designs tend to be a bit more time intensive also....the Old English lettering is tedious. and there is quite a bit of fiddly detail on them.

Dave Theobald

Thanks Don,

The 35 hours is not bad for a first seat....working out the templates is time consuming work....on my first seat I spent a huge amount of time getting the templates right.....The investment paid off when I began doing seats for Sucker Punch on a regular basis (something I never expected)

Dave

Edited by David

{i try to complete a seat a week and start another. if they are smaller seats, i can complete two and start a third. i am a bit bummed at the moment as i have been busy for months and now i have caught up. i have a seat to finish this week and a couple small bags for next week and nothing coming in after that.

in a pinch i can turn a seat around in a weekend. i think i have done around 75 seats in the last three years

stinks cause i really depend on the income just to make the bills}

Beeze,

That is about the rate that I was working at also; about 4 seats per month....The shop wanted more so I now have the advantage of having a helper...my son Joe. Joe takes care of all the leather cutting (fronts and backs), and seat pan preparation...attaching the padding, cutting it to shape, and riviting the seat back on. I do the tooling and lacing. We split the money. But this meant that we had to AT LEAST double production or else a helper would not make sense. We are currently making approximately 11 per month.

Here is one of my seat backs....so you can see Joe's work. I did the extra lacing on this but you can see, there is a lot of work to produce the back.

IMG_0452.JPG

post-327-1178753892_thumb.jpg

Edited by David