paperflask

Singer 29 / Chinese Clone Dimensional Question

Hi All

I have a unique sewing problem (not leather related) that I think can be solved using a leather patching machine. My investigations have stalled a bit, because there is some dimensional info I need that is not available online.

What I need is the length and thickness (diameter or circumference) of the shuttle arm of those old Singer 29 machines. I have also found cheap chinese clones of these on Ebay that may also work. Some of the more modern boot patchers have beef'd up the arm, so that is why the older Singers or the chinese clone is of interest to me.

What I am trying to do is to sew onto the surface of a long tubular fabric sleeve. The arm is key for what I am trying to do. I am more interested in the chinese clone dimensions because for a few hundred bucks I can investigate what I want to do and if feasible, I can confidently invest in a more robust solution long term.

Kind regards

Copied from a Singer manual:

MACHINE 29K71
End of cylinder bed is 1 inch wide and 7/8 inch deep.
Space at right of needle 12-1/4 inches.

MACHINE 29K72
End of cylinder bed is 1-5/32 inches wide and 1-1/16 inches deep.
Space at right of needle 17-1/2 inches.
Large Bobbin.

MACHINE 29K73
End of cylinder bed is 1 inch wide and 7/8 inch deep.
Space at right of needle 17-1/2 inches.

Edited by Constabulary

That narrow space only exists for about 5 inches or so. Then, it begins to expand as you progress down the arm.

DO NOT BUY A CHINESE PATCHER - EVER

They are rubbish and do not work without some serious modification. The Taiwanese machines are much better but work on the basis of try before you buy and then argue for a discount on the floor model you just used.

Sorry Ronnie, Bob and Steve. :)

DO NOT BUY A CHINESE PATCHER - EVER

They are rubbish and do not work without some serious modification. The Taiwanese machines are much better but work on the basis of try before you buy and then argue for a discount on the floor model you just used.

Sorry Ronnie, Bob and Steve. :)

No worries - we don't sell Chinese patchers. Our (Taiwan) 2900s sew like butter!

Edited by Techsew Ron

Sorry Ron, I forgot that you mentioned previously that you have the Taiwanese machine.

Maybe I have just had bad luck but every Chinese patcher I have been asked to look at is full of metal shavings and does not work properly. As sewing machines they make great door stops.