Sign in to follow this  
sodapop

my practice tooling attempts 1 thru 4

well heres my progress at tooling thus far...

my 1st attempt at tooling...and found out the hardway if you don't wipe off antique quick enough

or don't apply it all even :eusa_naughty: ...i ended up with a funky marbling effect kinda sorta...

celtic1.jpg

2nd which was a bit more involved & thanks to storm for the pic i used...learned not to use the modeler

when the leather is too wet...cuz i kinda beat the hell outta the celtic lines in a sense...not to clean...

celtic2.jpg

3rd...the koi was a really good learning experience...i only had a few tools to work with and found out quick that

i needed more lol...and realized the areas i should of done more modeling and if i had this tool or that tool etc...

also i transfered the pic exactly how it was on paper...but i found out a lesson on this as well...and thats

to study the pic in terms of tooling and do necessary modifications so it tools cleaner...learned alot though along

the way just by doing this one...

koi3.jpg

4th is the gargoyle i finished up yesterday after getting some new tools this week...having a good swivel knife

& blade makes all the difference...well worth the $$ spent...i attempted a version of ClayB bear paw technic for its

hair & it looks better in person...but its definately not as refined like Clays bearpaw hair, but i tried & definately need

more practice on that technic hehe...the camera i have is ancient and can't take pics worth a crap...so sorry about

that as it obviously blurrs out alot of the detail :ranting2:

gar.jpg

gar2.jpg

i owe the credit on specifically learning the tooling aspect of leatherwork to this site & all the folks thats have

contributed & helped me out...so a BIG thanks to all!! :thumbsup::dance:

regards,

darryl

post-6168-1212957203_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1212957220_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1212957238_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1212957262_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1212957286_thumb.jpg

Edited by sodapop

Hey darryl, that gargoyle is really eh..nice!

Looking good!

Tom

Curt,

About time that you got this out there. Very nice work for someone just stating out. Love them all but the Gargoyle is sweet. :notworthy::You_Rock_Emoticon::thumbsup:  Shining work!!

Storm

thanks Tom!!...i figured you'd like that one ;o)...i've always been into the dragons, gargoyles and odd creatures

as well...that kinda stuffs fun to do for me...i wouldn't mind doing more on those lines...but at a loss for ideas/items

for that at the moment...so they'll be my personal pieces & good practice i guess :dunno:

storm...ya i figured it was bout time to show somethin...just wanted to atleast have one to post that i was proud of...

even though the gargoyle was still practice...its more of really making a serious attempt at a more thorough finished

piece with all the details etc...and it helps being more comfortable with the tools by practicing on the others and figurin

out how the dang things work lol...thanks again for your help bud!!...p.s nomore jackwraps for the evening storm, your

cut off, curt?? :wacko::rofl:

darryl

Edited by sodapop

Yo Sodapop,

this is cool but I too love the last one.

Darryl,

You've made very rapid progress with your tooling. Your last effort was great. Let's see you put all that cool tooling on something like a wallet, binder or something. If you ever need inspiration, go to your search engine....I use Yahoo.... and type in fantasy art images.

Some cool stuff comes up.

Dave

hey spider...thanks man for the good words on the gargoyle!!...definately helps a guys confidence when

the folks that have had a hand in inspring me...like somethin i've done :cheers:

david...i did have one thought, and that was for a notebook comp. case maybe as well??...and since i

don't even have one for my own puter...i could give that a shot down the road...i did your search and

found me a new practice pic to give a shot...honestly, i kinda wish i knew more about bikes...cuz the

biggest inspiration has been you guys in regards to the type of graphics/themes etc of work i like to do,

fits right into the seats...and ya have plenty of room on the leather surface to work with...but seems

theres quite of an abundance of seat guys...hell i dunno :crazy: ...i'll just keep praticing my tooling til i get

to where i want to be with it...thanks for the compliments on my progress...

darryl

darryl, that Gargoyle rocks, I just love it. As David said, there is a whole wealth of "Fantasy" art that you can get for inspiration on any search for images.

Great work, thanks for posting.

Ken

i appreciate it ken =0)...speaking of rocks hehe...i get the whole picture of him done and down to the rock hes perched

on & i was completely stumped :unsure: ...so i just winged it...cudda been better...but i was tired and ready to hav'er done...

i'll have to study some rocks & practice so i can make them look more rocky lol

the other part i'm kinda clueless on is doing eyeball details...cuz to me it can make or break a pic...ya screw up the eyes

and the whole pic is screwed :wacko: ...they looked okay the way i left them and really didn't want to experiment on this one...

darryl