A friend of mine picked up bowhunting small game (rabbits, squirrels) which I'll soon be joining her in, and I was hoping to make a couple of small game bags. I was thinking something simple, like a satchel that gets slung over the shoulder, or maybe even simpler, something that gets looped to your waist with a belt. Has anyone else made an actively used small game bag? Did you use a liner that could be removed and laundered? How did you attach it to the inside? I was thinking of making a denim liner (lots of ripped up jeans I couldn't bear to throw away that I can patch together) and either using snaps or buttons sewn onto the leather to affix the liner in place.

Interesting. Definitely more along my lines than hers. I like re-using recycling and all that re-stuff, while she's more into slick and modern. To point: she shoots a compound, I shoot a 60's recurve bow. ;D Now that I put it that way, I'll probably end up making something completely different for either of us.

A bag that can breathe will be better for keeping the game longer.

If you take the time to field dress and skin the catch, . . . plastic freezer bags will keep them till you can get home, . . . and not allow blood to get all over the inside of your hunting bag.

Blood, . . . even dried, . . . can have a terrible odor, . . . bad for you and for your hunting................

All my old hunting jackets had a plastic inner liner that could be wiped clean with a wash rag, . . . and that worked great for me for years. Don't hunt small game these days.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here's another design that is vented only on one side.

RabbitHunting101_3.jpg

If you are looking for something to carry your game you should look into making a game strap. Made a couple this year for the duck hunt. I can't get 8 birds on each strap. I can send you a copy of my pattern if you would like.

If you are looking for something to carry your game you should look into making a game strap. Made a couple this year for the duck hunt. I can't get 8 birds on each strap. I can send you a copy of my pattern if you would like.

That would be very helpful, thanks!

20141130_182625_zpsu0jo8qxx.jpg

This is the best I can do I don't have a scanner. You will also need some d rings and rivets or you could see the d rings on. I have started skiing the last inch to inch and a quarter to make it easier to put the rings on. I will look for a picture of a finished one to show how to put the rings on.

A pic of the finished product would be very helpful. I'm afraid I haven't gotten the knack of reading a pattern and converting it into a real object yet.

PC112176.344182707_std_zps3qxlrsri.jpg

This is not mine but this is where I got my inspiration from. I have seen them with a strap to go around the neck so you could have two sets of straps.

Here is a better copy of the pattern thanks to TBoyce for doing this. Print this on 8 1/2 X11

game strap.pdf