Scott Ebersole

Wet Forming Tight Curves

Ok, I've been making holsters for a while now with no issues but I'm wanting to make some things with flat backs and all of the forming done on the face. How do I accomplish this with things such as mag holders and speed loader pouches. I would like to use just 1 solid piece in front with not cuts at all. There are also some holsters I would like to try this with as well. I have attached a picture of what I'm trying to do.post-40678-0-61192800-1375444484_thumb.j

You make a two piece wooden form, . . . male and female. The male would be the back part, . . . and it would be the shape of the back and the empty void you desire in the piece.

The female part would be the front, . . . hollowed out to accept the back piece.

What you will probably have to do is make the back on a lathe as a round piece and saw it in half.

The front will only be done by gouging, drilling, cutting, and sanding, . . . and will take some time to do. Be sure to fully, . . . completely, . . . throughly sand the front piece, as any imperfection will be transferred to the face of the leather.

Leave the space between them for about 3 or 4 oz thicker leather than you plan to use.

Wet the leather, . . . hand force them into the female part as much as possible, . . . then force the other piece into it, . . . leave it for about an hour with clamps on it to keep it from moving, . . . remove the clamps, . . . air dry.

May God bless,

Dwight

You can make the mold and press form the wet leather over it.

You can make the mold and press form the wet leather over it.

I'd pay attention to what this guy is saying, I think he might know a thing or two about bending leather to his will.