Cattle Hide

Sharpening A Tandy Overstitcher

As an interim measure I purchased a Tandy overstitcher so I could practice hand sewing before a bigger investment such as a J. Watt or other high end wheel. Since I have experience with my flexible shaft grinder as a jewelry maker I thought I would give modification a try.

I selected the tightest tool with the least wheel wobble at the store. Removed the pin with little effort and found the arms of the tool surprisingly soft! Then I attacked the lateral fit and stoned the sides of the wheel to flatten the wheel which was concaved on one side.

Re assembled and attacked the very dull pricking teeth with a small diameter fine stone. Got it nice and sharp too.

The down side is all of the plating is now gone from most of the wheel and it is brass underneath!

Can't they use steel to make these tools? Now I have to worry about the brass discoloring my stitch line and all I wanted to do was improve the POS tool and get it to mediocre.

I guess the news is don't count on modifying these things as the chrome is the hard surface others provide with actual steel and heat treating.

ARUGGGH!

Edited by Cattle Hide

As an interim measure I purchased a Tandy overstitcher so I could practice hand sewing before a bigger investment such as a J. Watt or other high end wheel. Since I have experience with my flexible shaft grinder as a jewelry maker I thought I would give modification a try.

I selected the tightest tool with the least wheel wobble at the store. Removed the pin with little effort and found the arms of the tool surprisingly soft! Then I attacked the lateral fit and stoned the sides of the wheel to flatten the wheel which was concaved on one side.

Re assembled and attacked the very dull pricking teeth with a small diameter fine stone. Got it nice and sharp too.

The down side is all of the plating is now gone from most of the wheel and it is brass underneath!

Can't they use steel to make these tools? Now I have to worry about the brass discoloring my stitch line and all I wanted to do was improve the POS tool and get it to mediocre.

I guess the news is don't count on modifying these things as the chrome is the hard surface others provide with actual steel and heat treating.

ARUGGGH!

Sometimes we just have to leave well enough alone.......

Sometimes we just have to leave well enough alone.......

Yeah, sometime it just is what it is. I've seen teens try to "soup up" a Honda Civic or an old Pinto. They sometimes go to great lengths to add spoilers and fancy wheels, but it doesn't change the basic car beneath all that. But sometimes a person just needs to get from here to there and an old Civic will do that pretty reliably. No use in being upset because it won't pass a horse cart.

Are you sure that you are not just seeing the brass underplating? On older Craftools that have been used a lot such as bevelers, the chrome is sometimes worn away enough that you can see the brass that is plated over the steel and provides a base for the final chromium plate.

I wish it was only the brass/copper plating over the steel core, however, I have ground to enough depth and it is brass through and through.

I will test and see if this marks cased leather. I will be able to use this for a while and that's all I wanted. I need to do some hand stitching to get experience to decide stitches per inch, thread size, Etc. for holsters!

Brass is easy to machine, and doesn't rust. Probably why it is used. Steel costs a LOT less than brass does, and folks also complain about how uncoated steel stains leather. The chrome wasn't for hardness, it was for corrosion resistance. I don't see a problem, it should work fine. Even if it did stain, you will be punching holes, threading , and staining over any possible marks anyway. It doesn't have to be fancy to press a mark into cased leather., use it.

Do not worry - brass is O.K. I make most of my tools myself - it is a big fun - and brass is my favorite for stamps. Never had any problem with staining, not even with my brass creaser (yes, it stains, but only my stamping stone when working with thin leather).

Daniel