colescarvings

Just Started Tooling In December

Hi all and thank you for excepting me. I started tooling leather in december so i'm fairly new at it.

i have experience in scrimshaw, pen and inks and pastel chalks (an auto accident put an end to doing those).

so 6 yrs later I decided to try something new.

i tool things for a local saddle maker, nose bands, brow bands, saddle decorations and other equine stuff. i'd like to learn to put things together and completely finish them.

i am not a painter, that talent was given to mother and grandmother.

i love carving leather and am just learning to stamp patterns like basket weaving, so that i can help the saddle maker more and also learning to do borders.

here is one of my favorite carvings that i've done so far. it's a bronc nose band.

post-39321-0-99738800-1361144774_thumb.j

Sorry about the accident, it sounds like you are talented being able to do scrimshaw. You're doing some fine work on leather!

thank you.

Very nicely done. Isn't amazing how when God shuts one door, He always opens another? Great work.

thank you and yes, it amazes me the doors that have opened to me. and if it werent for the grace of god, i would be dead. 99% do die in an impact like i experienced.

i really do love creating things. i cant sew the leather so my saddle maker friend gives me projects to do the tooling on.

i'll be tooling my own saddle soon, i'm very excited and nervous about that!

very nice...

That is a nice job.... :)

Great job!

Beautiful work. You have a great talent.

Thank you everyone.

Well that is just beautiful! I too started leather tooling 7 weeks ago. I really like it. How did you learn?

I used to do scrimshaw, pyrography, pen and ink, etc. ( I can not paint LOL) i was in an auto accident in 2007 and had to give up my art work, and then i met a saddle maker, and we became friends. she told me i should try it, because most of the work is done with the left hand (if you're right handed). so i did! and i love it.

i've spent countless hours on youtube watching videos, and got a 3 month membership to the tandy on line library and learned a lot from there too. and read almost all of al stohlmans books, that my friend has loaned me.

Nice work!!!