AllanD

Need Help With Strap End Punch

I'm trying to make something that will have six strap ends and I need to make them consistently the same so each will line up the same no matter which way they are oriented.. I want the “point” centered and the sides cut similar lengths. I like the English style. To start, I bought an $8.00 cheap one on ebay and, as expected, I got the quality I paid for. I wanted to try this project before I dropped too much money in it and it served its purpose.

I will be going further with this now and recently bought a better quality punch, or so I thought. I spent $28.00 thinking it would be better. It was from a good retail store and online seller. He offered to replace it, but I wonder if the replacement will be any better. I don't want to be trading punches back and forth. The more money punch looks nicer and has paint on it, but the center doesn’t center when I square up the ends and the ends won’t line up when I center the point. By the ends not lining up I mean they each cut back a different distance. It is no better than the $8.00 one from ebay.

Are these just poor qualities or am I expecting too much in a strap end punch? Are they all like this? Would I have better luck with a different style of punch?

Thanks

What size punch did you buy and what size strap are you using. I have a 1.6" english point I use on 1.5" belts. I had a really hard time getting it to center or the ends straight. What I finally learned is that I have to mark the center on the leather then place the point on it and rotate until there is the same space between the ends of the punch. Another way is to use a right angle, a square" one side against the leather and the other across the leather with the punch ends against the edge. then lift and move the punch to get the center aligned. I find the first method faster and easier.

This is the one I got. Super sharp and I use it for 1" to 1.5" straps and belts.

I agree with mlapaglia by marking the point and making sure the overhang is spaced evenly on both sides. If your going to be cutting the end of a lot of straps you should probably invest in a good quality end punch. As for newer production strap end punches in my opinion Weaver Leather makes the best strap end punches. If you can get a hold of some gomph, H.F osborne or older C.S osborne end punches you won't be unhappy with your purchase either. The Weaver end punches run $35 to $50 wholesale depending on size and are amazing in quality and how long they stay sharp.

Personally, . . . I got tired of trying to make the ends right with a mechanical device.

I use a punch to knock out the general pattern, . . . and basically where I want it.

THEN, . . . it goes to my 1 inch wide belt sander (NOT the orbital), . . . and I make really beautiful belt ends there, . . . or at least they look good to me.

Mike has the process down correct, . . . mark, . . . center, . . . whack, . . . but I still like to do that "final" on the sander.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the replies. I'm using straps I cut just a little under 1.25". The punch is for this size and the wings extend past the leather about 1/16" each.

When I tried a speed square on the wing ends, it results in the point is not being centered on the strap. It's like the angles of the wings are off center line a different amount and sweep back a different amount.

If I center the point and try to line up the end edge of each wing, it varies a little each time and the results are not consistant.

I wouldn't mind putting out the money for a good punch, but I thought $28.00 wholesale should have bought good quality. I'm still learning. I'm trying to not become an 1 1/4" strap end punch collector.

Perhaps I'm being to critical of my work, but I need satisfy myself first. I'm thinking that perhaps I should get a layout I'm happy with and make a template from it and either use it to position the punch or cut by hand. Brother Dwight's idea of a sander could take care of any tiny imperfections.

Thank you all.

I think black river laser makes acrylic templates for the English point in several widths, you would then trace and hand cut each one. Also don't be afraid to "adjust" your punch to fit your needs, just don't get it hot and you'll be fine. Plus the sander Dwight mentioned is extremely useful.

One thing I forgot to mention. I made a test strap that turned out perfect. I saved it and lay it over the new strap then put the punch against the hold one. This lines it up. Then whack it with a mallet and its good to go.

Michael

To check and see if your punch is even on either side, cut 2 pieces of paper with the punch and turn one over on to the other and see if the curves are the same. If they are the same, maybe one leg is longer than the other. In that case just file or grind back the long leg to make them equal, then you can use a square to line up your punch. I recently bought a new Osborne 11/4" punch and it was reasonably sharp but not a polished finish. It was bare metal, no finish or paint. It worked much better after touching up the edge and polishing inside and out. It is almost perfectly symmetrical Gump..

Gump, I didn't think of it the wings being different lengths. I had thought of them not being the same angle off center. I will take another look at this. Thanks.

And thank-you to all who contributed. I learned from each of you.