craftsman827

Where to find powerfull magnets

Does anyone know where to purchase powerfull magnets?

I want to hide them under the lining of a case I am making.

I just purchased 2 different kinds from OTB, but they are not strong enough.

I remember someone mentioning ones that Peter Main uses.

OR If anyone knows where to purchase some powerfull ones.

Thanks to all !

Don't know how thin you need them to be, but Lee Valley Tools has some. I've ordered from them a few times and their service is excellent.

Here's a link to the ones which might fit your project: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348&ap=1' rel="external nofollow">

Rare-Earth Circular Magnets

The company is in Canada but they ship to the US.

Hope that helps!

The strongest ones you can get are called NIB - Neodymium - Iron - Boron - magnets. Here is a link to some safety considerations for using them: Magnet Safety

One thing to keep in mind, these very strong magnets can mess up the strip on a credit card, mess up audio or video material, and even your hard drive or monitor.

Occasionally I have a call to use them in jewelry, so I know that places that sell jewelry supplies would have them. There is a necklace or bracelet clasp that uses them, they sometimes use them in earrings and so on.

I've got one I keep on my bench. It's inside a tiny bottle, and when I get done sawing with my teeny tiny jeweler's saw, I sweep it over the bench to pick up the tiny fragments of saw blade from when they break. And just for fun, I have another jar with iron filings in it and love to watch the iron filings change according to the way the magnet is held. :lol:

If you have a dead hard drive then you can get some of the rare earth type from inside.

there will usually be one above and below the coil that moves the read/write heads.

They tend to be mounted on metal brackets... one is usually flat... the other is "bridged" to keep the separation constant. This comes in useful for securing them to benches etc thanks to the holes used to screw them to the aluminium body of the drive.

I have removed the magnet from the metal bracket in the past but all to often you can chip off the plating coating the magnet so i tend to leave them in place.

If you want pictures of the magnets just let me know.

Cheers

Edited by Merrik

If you have a dead hard drive then you can get some of the rare earth type from inside.

there will usually be one above and below the coil that moves the read/write heads.

They tend to be mounted on metal brackets... one is usually flat... the other is "bridged" to keep the separation constant. This comes in useful for securing them to benches etc thanks to the holes used to screw them to the aluminium body of the drive.

I have removed the magnet from the metal bracket in the past but all to often you can chip off the plating coating the magnet so i tend to leave them in place.

If you want pictures of the magnets just let me know.

Cheers

I'd love to see pictures of these magnets. By the way, what kind of screwdriver is needed to open up some of these hard drives?

ed

Hiya,

</geek mode on>

Here is a picture of some of the magnets i have liberated... yes... i seem to have a fetish for the damn things.

HDMagnets.jpg

As for the tools to remove them... usually a cross head/posi/philips screw driver and a number of star drive heads. The set i have has T4 thru T10 + T15 and T20. Dunno if the larger automotive ones use a similar size notation but these are the smaller jewellers/watchmakers sizes.

There are usually posi/cross heads around the lid but look out also for stealth screws. Often there will at least two (star drive screws) hidden under small round lables that match the metal top...

Once the lid is off you should see one or more "platters" (good coasters), the read/write arm and the magnets. It is usually possible to remove a couple of screws and pull the top "bridged" magnet. You may need to leverage as it's pull will not want to let it shift.

Then it is worth looking on the side of the Read/write head spindle. if there, is remove it. There is also usually a small plastic doofer that stops the heads moving too far in one direction or another... this will probably just lift out. Now you should be able to swing the heads clear of the platter and lift it off it`s shaft. Look under the housing and there may be a screw to release the bearing the head spindle was mounted on. If not it could be knocked out. Got a few stashed which i might use in a lace splitter/beveller.

Remove the small screw keeping the platter(s) and the spacers in place then lift them out too! You could also turn the housing over, remove the PCB underneath then knock out the platter spindle. Older models may even have a platter spindle and bearing in a housing that can be unscrewed and removed. I had this and used it as a base for an anemometer for my kite flying.

</geek mode off>

Enjoy!

Hiya,

</geek mode on>

Here is a picture of some of the magnets i have liberated... yes... i seem to have a fetish for the damn things.

HDMagnets.jpg

As for the tools to remove them... usually a cross head/posi/philips screw driver and a number of star drive heads. The set i have has T4 thru T10 + T15 and T20. Dunno if the larger automotive ones use a similar size notation but these are the smaller jewellers/watchmakers sizes.

There are usually posi/cross heads around the lid but look out also for stealth screws. Often there will at least two (star drive screws) hidden under small round lables that match the metal top...

Once the lid is off you should see one or more "platters" (good coasters), the read/write arm and the magnets. It is usually possible to remove a couple of screws and pull the top "bridged" magnet. You may need to leverage as it's pull will not want to let it shift.

Then it is worth looking on the side of the Read/write head spindle. if there, is remove it. There is also usually a small plastic doofer that stops the heads moving too far in one direction or another... this will probably just lift out. Now you should be able to swing the heads clear of the platter and lift it off it`s shaft. Look under the housing and there may be a screw to release the bearing the head spindle was mounted on. If not it could be knocked out. Got a few stashed which i might use in a lace splitter/beveller.

Remove the small screw keeping the platter(s) and the spacers in place then lift them out too! You could also turn the housing over, remove the PCB underneath then knock out the platter spindle. Older models may even have a platter spindle and bearing in a housing that can be unscrewed and removed. I had this and used it as a base for an anemometer for my kite flying.

</geek mode off>

Enjoy!

Are these type magnets very strong, Merrick.

Tony.

indeedee!

If you have seen any Mythbusters episodes where they mess with magnets (climbing metal ducting is as example) then you`ll get a good idea.

found out about these from a local scrap merchant. I asked him for a large powerful magnet. He replied.... do you want a large one or a strong one? then produced one of these little suckers and told me they came from old military computer tape storage units but could also be found in hard drives.

If you do not have a old drive to rip apart or are looking for something more suitable for hidden fasteners you could try evilbay. Last time i looked there were plenty of sellers.

Search for either Rare Earth Magnets or Neodymium Magnets

Should find all sorts of shapes as sizes. Anything from 8mm round disks to large blocks that will hold 250lbs.

Just don't fingers between large ones when they jump as they seriously nip. Also.... slide the wee beasties apart.... don`t try and pull they apart or off a metal surface.

<h1 class="itemTitle">

</h1>

indeedee!

If you have seen any Mythbusters episodes where they mess with magnets (climbing metal ducting is as example) then you`ll get a good idea.

found out about these from a local scrap merchant. I asked him for a large powerful magnet. He replied.... do you want a large one or a strong one? then produced one of these little suckers and told me they came from old military computer tape storage units but could also be found in hard drives.

If you do not have a old drive to rip apart or are looking for something more suitable for hidden fasteners you could try evilbay. Last time i looked there were plenty of sellers.

Search for either Rare Earth Magnets or Neodymium Magnets

Should find all sorts of shapes as sizes. Anything from 8mm round disks to large blocks that will hold 250lbs.

Just don't fingers between large ones when they jump as they seriously nip. Also.... slide the wee beasties apart.... don`t try and pull they apart or off a metal surface.

<h1 class="itemTitle">

</h1>

Thanks, Merrik!

I get mine from woodcraft.

Woodcraft magnets

127197tmb.jpg

post-3307-1226450425_thumb.jpg

I've got the fetish, too. Thanks.

Hiya,

</geek mode on>

HDMagnets.jpg

</geek mode off>

Enjoy!