Sign in to follow this  
John Wiley

sewing in a toe plug for a holster

This is my first post so bear with me. I need some help, directions or what have you on sewing in a toe plug for a holster. The plug will be for a side by side shotgun so the plug will be a flattened oval shape. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

This is my first post so bear with me. I need some help, directions or what have you on sewing in a toe plug for a holster. The plug will be for a side by side shotgun so the plug will be a flattened oval shape. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I do not know if I am replying to this correctly but I hope so.

I do not plug any of my holster work. Plugs are apt to allow junk to build up in the bottom of the holster and serve no purpose. Just allow for the barrel length and leave a good 1/2 inch of holster to extend past the end of the piece.

Little John

If youre going to plug the scabbard, may i suggest you put some/couple large holes in the plug. maybe something like 3/8" dia for debris to fall thru.

I used some really thick leather to make the plug in my holster. i think it was some sole leather. Its really difficult to cut too and more so to run an awl thru.

also, when you make your stitching groove on the side of the scabbard, i would try to eye how far from the edge you will make it so that the thread/needle goes tru some meat in the plug. you can use a overstitch wheel to mark the spacing on the plug, but for the holes in the scabbard, you either have to divide the no. of holes, or eye it along the length of the groove.

if you check out Stohlmans book "How to make Holster" theres a page on doing plugs.

the hardest part for me was to figure out how to space the holes along the scabbard.

If youre going to plug the scabbard, may i suggest you put some/couple large holes in the plug. maybe something like 3/8" dia for debris to fall thru.

I used some really thick leather to make the plug in my holster. i think it was some sole leather. Its really difficult to cut too and more so to run an awl thru.

also, when you make your stitching groove on the side of the scabbard, i would try to eye how far from the edge you will make it so that the thread/needle goes tru some meat in the plug. you can use a overstitch wheel to mark the spacing on the plug, but for the holes in the scabbard, you either have to divide the no. of holes, or eye it along the length of the groove.

if you check out Stohlmans book "How to make Holster" theres a page on doing plugs.

the hardest part for me was to figure out how to space the holes along the scabbard.

My first post so I hope it's helpful.

You don't need to worry about getting the number of holes on the plug and the outside of the scabbard the same. If you find you're going round the inside line of stitching (i.e. the plug) faster than you're going the outside line (the scabbard) [which is the way it always happens] you just need to 'lose' a stitch every now and then on the inside line of stitching. This is the method I use when stitching round boxes.

Gary

My first post so I hope it's helpful.

You don't need to worry about getting the number of holes on the plug and the outside of the scabbard the same. If you find you're going round the inside line of stitching (i.e. the plug) faster than you're going the outside line (the scabbard) [which is the way it always happens] you just need to 'lose' a stitch every now and then on the inside line of stitching. This is the method I use when stitching round boxes.

Gary

Sorry I haven't responded but the wife has had the computer tied up for taxes. My other holsters are open toed but I want to try a closed one just to say I tried. May have to order up the holster book from Tandys. Thanks for the advice and input.

Gary is right on, on his sewing instructions. Some holsters should be plugged. A plug will keep debris out of the holster if you are out in rough terrain - sitting, squatting, kneeling and crawling around. I always wear a handgun even when I carry a shoulder weapon. Guns are tools and they don't always work - have a backup. Clean your plugged holster on a regular basis with a shop vac or vacuum cleaner. A small hole through the plug will let rain (water) drain should you get drenched or dunked.