benandjonice

Need Some Help - How To Finish A Piece Stained With Eco-Flo Hi-Lite Stain

Help!! Being a noob to the whole staining/dyeing/finishing part of leatherwork, I took the Tandy Lady's advice and bought the little sampler pack of water-based Hi-Lite Stains by Eco-Flo. Tandy Lady said that I could just use the stain like the Fiebings dye I've used before, wipe it on, wipe it off, then finish with my choice of super shene, neutral shoe polish, resolene, whatever. So off to the races I went. Stain went on really nice, gave me a nice little antique-y look too. But now when I apply Super-Shene or Resolene the stain pulls right up off the leather, leaving almost no color on the leather. If I use my trusty old shoe polish, the stain starts to come up if it gets any water on it. I tried pulling out a spray bottle and spraying the Resolene on, we'll see how that one turns out.

Is there a good way to finish this leather with the stain on it? Or will I have to pull it all off and find some dye then finish it?

Help!! Being a noob to the whole staining/dyeing/finishing part of leatherwork, I took the Tandy Lady's advice and bought the little sampler pack of water-based Hi-Lite Stains by Eco-Flo. Tandy Lady said that I could just use the stain like the Fiebings dye I've used before, wipe it on, wipe it off, then finish with my choice of super shene, neutral shoe polish, resolene, whatever. So off to the races I went. Stain went on really nice, gave me a nice little antique-y look too. But now when I apply Super-Shene or Resolene the stain pulls right up off the leather, leaving almost no color on the leather. If I use my trusty old shoe polish, the stain starts to come up if it gets any water on it. I tried pulling out a spray bottle and spraying the Resolene on, we'll see how that one turns out.

Is there a good way to finish this leather with the stain on it? Or will I have to pull it all off and find some dye then finish it?

Make sure you let it dry for several hours (I recommend 8, 4 is ok) before applying a finish. After it drys, buff it really well with a piece of sheepskin or a soft cloth, then apply a finish very lightly rubbing it in, you might get just a trace of dye but that will be residual pigment and needs to go anyway. The key to dying and finishing is patience. I try to let my dye dry overnight and then let the finish dry for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight as well. I prefer Clear Lac, but I have used resolene, tankote, and super sheen the results are better in my opinion with the Clear Lac, but that's just me.

Hope that helps.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Thanks Chief. I've let the pieces dry for several days and gave them both a good buffing with a soft cloth. I may have over-applied the stain (when you get a lot on there it starts to look pretty cool!). But, they're still coming up. It seems to do better when I spray from a spray bottle.

I always get some lift when I use hi-lite. You can try this. Use a dauber WET and dab straight up and down. NO side to side motion. Once the finish dries, you should be ale to buff with little lift.

Was the leather veg-tanned?

How did you apply the Hi-Lite was the leather damp or dry I have better luck with water based stain if its a little damp, make sure the finish is water based if you are going to rub it on. If you’re going to spray it on do what immiketoo suggested let it dry then buff.

If I’m going to use a Hi-liter I normally use a dye first then put the hi-liter on this gives the piece a contrasting look between light and dark. If I want to bring out the grain of the leather and add some contrast I apply something like Super-Shene first then I hi-lite to enhance the tooling rubbing it into the tooling and cuts then wipe it off, the Super-Shene or what ever sealer you used will protect the high areas from taking the die. I think the key is to wipe not rub you want to remove the hi-liter from the top but leave it in the tooled and cut areas.

From Tandy’s site

Eco-Flo Hi-Lite is water based, low V.O.C., light stain for use on natural veg-tanned tooling leather that will bring out and enhance cuts and impressions.

Also you may want to check out the Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishes and Conditioners forum.

Doug

Edited by whiteeugene