Sign in to follow this  
mattsh

The Duke's Ruger

Several months back I made a holster similar to the split leather money belt that John Wayne wore in many of his later westerns. Inspired by John Bianchi's article on the rig I decided to make one for myself. I posted the pics here and since then my dad has asked me to make one for his Ruger Blackhawk. Well, here it is. My camera went on the fritz so I had to borrow my daughter's camera and hope for the best. Pic didn't turn out too bad but I sure miss the versatility of my Sony DSC-V1.

post-5907-007091800 1291183211_thumb.jpg

That's really nice. I saw your other thread on this from back when it was just a gleam in your eye.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17195

The belt is veg tan folded flesh side out right? About 5/6 oz?

Phipps - I dont really have a pattern. I started from the patterns sold at Tandy. The holster pack and the gun belt pack. I modified them a little to fit my tastes.

Ollies - I made the belt out of a 4 oz split so it does not actually have a flesh side and hair side. The belt is extremely flexible and comfortable. One thing that I did was I put a reinforcement piece behind the bullet loops and where the holster would normally hang just to make sure that the belt would not fold over.

Got my mom a new camera for Christmas and had to get it set up and make sure I know how everything works 'cause she lives in Florida and I can't just go over and help her use it. Anyhow, here is a another pic of the holster.

post-5907-096209400 1292708205_thumb.jpg

A fine looking Rig..........

Well, I understand that in the remake of "True Grit" the Duke's role is played by "The Dude" (Big Lebowski). So, if the new Duke wants a Ruger I don't see why he shouldn't have one! :whatdoyouthink:

Lobo - that's funny. The more and more I see of the trailers for the movie the more I think I want to see it. At first my devotion to the original was such that I thought that there was no way I would want to see this remake, but I am going to try to talk my dad and brother into seeing it over Christmas vacation when we all get together.