MCL

Belt Length Issue

Hey Guys-

I've looked and used the suggestions given, but keep coming up short. The issue is my belts are usually to short, but sometimes to long. I've tried the add 2" for pants/shirts, then 6" for the end, plus the extra for the buckle, but I'm always wrong. Say the customer "says" they are a 35" pant waist. So.... 35+2+6+3= 46" total length. They then say it is to short. I've tried measuring belts at stores and they are all different. Getting someone to measure buckle to hole is the best method, but not always possible. NEED HELP!!!!!

Best help would be the Stohlman book on How to Make Belts.

When you say they are too short, how much too short? How many times did they come up too long? Your length is the tip of the tongue in the buckle to the middle hole. Think of that of the length of the belt. That's the tough measurement if you aren't taking the measurements yourself, and relying on the customer. Then add in whatever billet length you want, plus the overlap for the buckle. After a few successful belts you can make some patterns for this. In my experience, adding 2" for jeans works but is too much for dress pants.

If you get one of those 6 foot metal rulers that seamstresses use, you can lay your belt out, mark it with pencil, and be correct every time.

Hey Guys-

I've looked and used the suggestions given, but keep coming up short. The issue is my belts are usually to short, but sometimes to long. I've tried the add 2" for pants/shirts, then 6" for the end, plus the extra for the buckle, but I'm always wrong. Say the customer "says" they are a 35" pant waist. So.... 35+2+6+3= 46" total length. They then say it is to short. I've tried measuring belts at stores and they are all different. Getting someone to measure buckle to hole is the best method, but not always possible. NEED HELP!!!!!

Don't believe the customer telling you their waist size,measure it yourself,alot of folk don't know for sure.They like to think they are a 36'' when in reality it is more like 40''.I have had it happen just recently,I was told 42'' and it didn't fit his actual 46'' waist.

Measure an old belt if you can. If you measure a person's waist put the tape or a string that won't stretch through the trouser's loops and pull the slack out of it, but don't pull it tight - that's the waist size the distance from the tip of the buckle's tongue to the center hole you're going to punch. Maybe the pix will help.

post-24-081091200 1316792270_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billsotx

I've been there. I think people are buying pants to little for them, then they stretch out to the real waist size. Use a ruler, all that jazz. I think people are fatter than they admit.

This is sales that I can't measure.

Yes Belts are a problem ..Dont beleive nothing you hear and only one half of what you see. the only way i will make a belt is to measure one that the customer is wearing.

this is a great thread.....i found out the hard way about belt length. i knew to ALWAYS measure the person or get their existing belt and use that. HOWEVER, i was making a belt for a friend and i kept bugging him to get me his old belt so i could measure it - or at least measure his waist himelf. he was dragging his feet about the whole matter, and he finally said "just make it a 36. i'm a 36". O.K. says i. so, i made the belt 36" from the base of the buckle to the middle hole of a 5 hole belt. i give it to him, he tries it on and it seems a bit tight. well, later on comes a knock at my door. "tim, i was wondering if you could put another hole in this belt". well now....so much for your 36" waist, huh? it made me mad because the additional hole ruined the look of the belt.

moral: ALWAYS get a measurement first. refuse to build the belt otherwise.

Yep. Got an order for a 38, was a 42. 36 was a 38, 35 was a 36. There is no way to add what it is unless there are a lot of holes, then it looks crappy. Seems 4" added is the most, 1" is the least. I think it is a loosing battle.

Make a fitting belt with numbers at the hole so you can use the exact buckle and have them try it on using the fitting belt what ever hole they fit it to is the center hole on your new belt for that buckle.

I use a fitting belt and tell them just buckle it up, don't look at it. My fitting belt is 1" wide and I have found it pulls tighter than a wider belt will, so you have to be careful of that also.

Kevin

Many years ago, my grandfather asked me to make him a plain belt since he couldn't get one in a store to fit. He told me his waist was 48". So I added 4" fold back plus 2" for the buckle, plus 8" for the tongue. I only had one long strap left, so cut it accordingly. When he tried it on, the tip of the tongue just met the buckle. 58"

So he never did get a new belt!

I use fitting belts also. I have one which is 1-1/2" wide and another which is 1" wide. When ever possible I have the customer put his buckle on my measuring belt. That way I have one less measurement to keep track of. When using a measuring belt, have the customer determine the length of billet they prefer by referring to the appropriate hole along the belt. When laying out the new belt, use the measuring belt to measure with. I don't do phone measurements. If my customer is not available I send the belt to them. I have shipped measuring belts as far away as Spain and when the new belt was finished it fit the customer perfectly. It's the only way to be sure!!!!!

Bobby