Suicide

How To Get Such Groove?

Hi everybody.

How can I have such groove?

What tool should I use? big saddle stitching groover or v-gouge? or what?

v-gouge. easy to use too.

pete

Thanks!

your welcome-- get the $24.00 model (hand held) rather than the $29.00 "block" looking one. Much easier to use

your welcome-- get the $24.00 model (hand held) rather than the $29.00 "block" looking one. Much easier to use

Thanks for this tip also, I see what you mean.

Suicide... the same crease can be done with an Edge Creaser. Bruce Gibson on here might have some wider ones for sale.

That parallel crease wiuth a border can be done a couple ways.

1). Like Luke mentioned an edge creaser is the tool designed for that. One ridge longer than the other to ride down the edge and the other ridge presses in the crease. These creasers come in a few varieties. The single line creasers make one line parallel with the edge. There are two ranges of sizes. The normal creasers are usually numbered 1-6. There is a wider set that is called layer creasers that are across the board wider and likewise numbered 1-5. I usually have quite a few creasers on hand. edit - There are also double line creasers that will make two crease lines parallel with the edge.

2). The other option is a two stage process. You can use either a stitch groover or wide beveled swivel knife in a border guide to cut a line. Then go over the line with a tickler or beveled tickler to burnish the line. Ticklers are pretty easily had also.

That looks a lot like Freddie's work. You can also use a stitch groover and get the same results as he does. I think Bruce mentioned it in his response.

That parallel crease wiuth a border can be done a couple ways.

1). Like Luke mentioned an edge creaser is the tool designed for that. One ridge longer than the other to ride down the edge and the other ridge presses in the crease. These creasers come in a few varieties. The single line creasers make one line parallel with the edge. There are two ranges of sizes. The normal creasers are usually numbered 1-6. There is a wider set that is called layer creasers that are across the board wider and likewise numbered 1-5. I usually have quite a few creasers on hand. edit - There are also double line creasers that will make two crease lines parallel with the edge.

2). The other option is a two stage process. You can use either a stitch groover or wide beveled swivel knife in a border guide to cut a line. Then go over the line with a tickler or beveled tickler to burnish the line. Ticklers are pretty easily had also.

Hi Bruce. Could you put up a pic of these tools. I started less than two years ago, and when I did a friend of mine sent me a 'care' package. It had these wooden handled 'somethings' also in the box that I just put away because I'd just gotten the basic set of 6 tools. Recently when I was trying to find something I needed on eBay I realized the man had sent me a goldmine that I just couldn't see at the time. I'm using a vintage wooden stitching awl, and I have figured out I have a number 5, oh darn, round thingy that marks where to stitch, two bevelers, a french beveler and one I finally asked him about, a 'gutter tool' to make sewing easier? It kind of gets away from me still, and I don't know how to control the depth, and it leaves a raw edge. Is that where you use a 'tickler' to smooth it? I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start on my first headstall. I practice on leather conchos because i have a gazillion of them but I'm still feeling very unsure about these tools. Thanks, sorry I ran on, but I'm just trying to learn so much. Cheryl