Sign in to follow this  
ArcherBen

Checkbook Cover

I just completed a checkbook cover that I made for my fiance for Valentines Day. It is made out of black sharkskin and with an apple green stingray inlay. The choice of the apple green is two-fold: 1. It is her favorite color. 2. Black, white, and green are our wedding colors. A big thanks to all those who responded to my questions in other threads and PMs concerning wallet construction, as well as the pinned tutorial by Kevin King on wallet binding.

All suggestions, comments, and critique are welcome and appreciated.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Mate it sure worked, it is tremendous, all the toil was worth it. Darryl

I tried looking for some 3M 90 like you had suggested but I couldn't find any, so I ended up using the Duro all-purpose adhesive that CitizenKate had suggested.

If I were to build this again I would order some thread in that matches the color of the stingray. I tried finding some locally, but couldn't find any heavy enough for what I wanted to do. I'm still pretty new at stitching with an awl also, so I figured the black on black would help hide any stitching flaws I might have ended up with also.

The stingray really looks like a spooky eyeball. Very cool.

It looks great. Did you sew through the stingray or mount it to something else to sew in place. The reason I ask is I heard its super hard stuff.

You did a fantastic job with the sting ray. :banana:

Kiw i :coffeecomp:

Thanks for all the comments.

Rusty,

I did sew through the stingray. There were a couple of times that I hit one of the bony parts squarely on the top of it, but for the most part it wasn't too difficult. Each bump/bone is very hard, but between them is actually quite soft.

Edited by ArcherBen