I'm planning on making a couple chokers for friends but I've been wondering....do people line the inside? Or is the leather comfortable enough on it's own? I've looked at the pics on here but couldn't really tell. From what I've seen it looks like no lining is used.

Tried searching for anything regarding chokers and either I'm an idiot or it just hasn't been mentioned.

EDIT: Okay I redid my search and realised I really am stuipid. So let me rephrase my question. For wearing chokers/collars for long periods do you recommend a lining of some sort? or is the plain leather enough?

Edited by twofour878

If these are not going to be suprises to the recipients, just ask them their opinion.

I can't say I have experience with collars, but having sensitive skin makes me look hard at whatever I think about wearing. If the choker/collar is made of a stiffer leather, I would think it would chafe the more delicate skin of the neck. Also, I would wonder about potential skin sensitivity to any dyes or leather treatment products on bare leather or even leather lining.

It is not necessarily a problem for most people. FWIW.

I use soft leather for the chokers (I call the ones I make "kitty collars") I make, so there's no need to line them. if you're using a stiff leather, well, it's mostly going to be a personal preference for the wearer. I've known some that had no problem wearing ones that were made from a stiff leather, and others got chafed by the inside of the collar. personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless a lining is requested.

I would surely break out in hives from a veg tanned choker that has not been atom waxed or treated somehow on the part that touches my neck. I say line them and double the price. :)

Johanna

Thanks. I'm making this for a friend so if it doesn't work right for her then I can always take it back and alter it.

I'll use it for a learning experience for when I make them for others.

meant to ask, what kind of leather are you using? most of the chokers I make are out of chap leather that's 3-4oz, already black and soft. just gotta color the edges since it has a white core.