Sign in to follow this  

I've made a a small pouch/purse that has front piece overlaping back. I'm trying to glue the skived edge but, can't seem to apply glue straight and even. I've done some practice peices and have very poor results (strong but, messy). Is there some way (e.g. masking tape or such) to establish straight line? I'm using Barge glue. What do you use to properly AND neatly apply thick glue like Barge? Q-tip, stick, or??

I'd appreciate any advice on improving my gluing.

Thanks,

Regis

Regis,

Welcome to the forum. I too have problems with glue sometimes. I put my Barge in a plastic squeeze bottle, and can control the size of the bead I lay down with a combination of pressure and how fast I move it along. This waht I do for 99% of my applications. If I am doing a big area, I squeeze sme lines on and spread it with a sheepskin patch. If I am test fitting something like a gusset or zipper, I hold everything in place with a bevy of binder clips (from the office supply places). I have about 100 medium and 50 larges. I also use them on the turned edge things where I either don't use glue (like a hair-on hide thing) or use a very tiny bead on a skinny edge and it tends not to hold everything tight while I am sewing. I leave the clips on and remove them as I come to them while sewing. A real marriage saver if you have a spouse holding things while you sew.

On the exposed edges that I get glue on, I run them over my benchtop belt sander to remove the glue and true up the edges.

Bruce Johnson

Regis,

I use DAP Weldwood contact cement sold at the local hardware store, which comes with a brush cap that's just too wide for my purposes. So, I use Q-Tips to spread the cement on leather. Very precise, but also very slow. Give it a try to see if it works for you.

Best, -Alex

I spread Barge with plastic credit cards. Save all those junk mail promo credit cards that you probably get in the mail everyday and you have an endless supply. Cut them into strips, in half or use them whole depending on how wide your glue line is.