Willbury

Adler 205-370 Stitch Length Problem Help!

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem I just started having with my Adler.

As I'm sewing the stitch length starts decreasing from the set stitch length, and gets shorter and shorter. The forward/reverse lever moves from the down position towards the middle (causing the problem). This issue just appeared this morning and I've had no problems in the past.

I should also mention that in reverse it's always acted like this, you need to hold the lever in the up reverse position or it will start moving down and decreasing stitch length as well. I thought this was how the machine operated and required you to hold the lever, but with it happening on forward stitching now I'm wondering if that was the case.

Anyone know whats up, before I tear into the machine?

It sounds like the stitch lever is not holding when you set it. In the back of the machine is a nut with a set screw inside it. If I remember, it is below the lower shaft and on the left side of the machine . If you loosen the nut and go inside it, you will find a set screw. Slightly turn that clockwise. It locks the fork on the stitch length lever a little tighter so that the lever stays where you set it. Try that to start.

glenn

It sounds like the stitch lever is not holding when you set it. In the back of the machine is a nut with a set screw inside it. If I remember, it is below the lower shaft and on the left side of the machine . If you loosen the nut and go inside it, you will find a set screw. Slightly turn that clockwise. It locks the fork on the stitch length lever a little tighter so that the lever stays where you set it. Try that to start.

glenn

Glenn,

Thank you so much you nailed it! I just tried that out it's working perfectly again, plus the reverse is locking as well. That will salvage my week of belt making, unfortunatley I lost one to this whole mishap....

Cheers,

Will

Make sure you remember to tight the nut back up. Otherwise, it will loosen up again.

glenn

Make sure you remember to tight the nut back up. Otherwise, it will loosen up again.

glenn

Already done! Thanks again.

Thanks shoepatcher! Mines been doing the samething if I sew to fast. I hung a small weight (my thread snips) on it and it stopped but now I can fix it right.

glenn

You say slightly turn the set screw. Is there a way to tell when you've gotten it right? My 205 only does this when I sew fast and not every time. Should the set screw be firm, or tight? Trying to trust this thing again. Thanks

Troy.

Once you set the set screw it should be tight but not overly tight. The nut you tighten after you have set the set screw will keep the set screw from backing out.

If you take the top access plate off and look down in the machine, you will see where the set screw is tighten up against. That should help you to determine how tight to make it.