Sign in to follow this  
TXJhawk

1911 Question

I have been making holsters primarily for glocks and am now starting to get some requests for 1911's. Seems like everyone has a different brand 1911 so my question is in regards to 1911 molds. Do I have to buy a different 1911 mold for every brand or will one work for all of them? I know there are a few different sizes but for instance can I use Colts 1911 to make a holster for a Kimber? Thanks

It is my experience that most 1911's are fairly standardized in frame overall size and slide width and height. The variance between makers comes in slide length. Colt for instance has a commander length slide with a 4.25" barrel while Kimber has a "commander" length slide but it is just under or right about 4". So when it comes to holster length that quarter inch does not sound like much but in my personal preference the 4.25" holster looked a little long (as to say that the holster was not made for it). So for me I adjusted my pattern for the Kimber and then the holster looked like it was made for that gun and gave it a cleaner look.

So for most 1911's the 5" mold will fit 5" guns and 4.25" mold will fit the 4.25" guns and so on. You just have to do your research to see that the slide length, ejection port and etc are lining up like you expect.

Matt hit the nail on the head. A Govt (5 inch), Commander (4.25 inch) and a Officers (3.5 inch) cover the majority of slide sizes for the vast majority of makers.... The next big change is if the frame has a rail or not. Also, keep in mind the Sig series of 1911s have a stylized slide profile and that can cause issue with tightly molded and boned 1911 holsters.

With the three standard size blue guns (govt, commander, officers), I have not ran into a 1911 I haven't been able to pattern a holster for.

Hope that helps with your question.

-Tac

Tac, where did you find an Officers size blue gun?

Just a little anecdote, . . . you will also have to be wary of some Springfield Armory items. I owned one once that would not fit any other 1911 holster I had except a paddle I bought from Galco, . . .

I don't know exactly the model other than it was a stainless, beavertail, single/left side safety, white dot sights. I should have measured the slide on that rascal, for I am sure that is where the extra steel was, . . . but it was really a hog in size.

I also had a cheap little plastic holster, . . . it fit ANY other 1911 I ever tried in it, . . . the Springfield would not go into it at all. I would have busted the holster if I had forced it in it.

Other than that, . . . I have never had any other problems fitting them.

May God bless,

Dwight