NewYorkerInSydney

Multiple Hole/self Centering Hole Punch Tool

Hello good people,

I make lots and lots of belts and my hands are really getting tired of punching holes lately with my handheld rotary punch tool. Do any of you know of any manual types of tool/machine that makes holes without electricity. Something that can self center perhaps and in which I don't have to squeeze one at a time or hammer punch one at a time. Something faster and more efficient? I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Nyis

A fella could do that easy enough with an arbor press. Still manual (no electric) but faster than one hole at a time. Just the self-centering might be a bit of a head scratcher.

Since you're only talking about a few inches of area, and small punches, two plates would do it. Top one with some threaded holes (so you can replace punches) and bottom plate with reamed holes (so you can insert pins for alignment. Pull the lever and you're done. Get one with a little pressure and you could cut the tip in the same stroke.

Not sure where you get those over there, but around here a 1-ton runs $60-70 US. I'd probably go with the 2-ton - not that you need that much power, but they generally include a ratchet wheel that's kinda nice (about $175 US).

This is what you need for relatively cheap. Weaver tool part number 65-6185, page 208.

http://www.weaverlea...pply/index.html

Look on page 248, this one does it all.

Yep, that's what I was talking about. Didn't know somebody already did it :)

Don't see a price, is that a separate catalog?

My Amish buddies use a foot press that will cut the end and punch 5 ,or as many holes that you wish..It may be available through Beilers..

Weaver requires a business license but the manual one I meant is about 35 bucks and I can hook you up with someone to get one.

Good question, I was looking for prices as well, but couldn't find any...

Thats cause you have to be a dealer to get a price list. They are not cheap and I reckon that machine version is $300 bucks

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I looked into that weaver one and you need a business license or need to be a dealer. I don't have a licence nor am a dealer so that's out. What a shame as they have so many great things in that catalog that I would like to buy but can't because of that. I never understand why some businesses make it so hard to buy from them.

I'm still looking. Anyone else have any ideas? I'd tired of punching holes one at a time. I've searched online but only keep finding the regular handheld punches. I can't think of any keywords that would help me find hat I need. I'm ready to buy something that works that is reasonably priced. It doesn't have to be cheap. Please Leo me find something.

Thank you,

Nyis

Here's a link to find a Weaver Retail Dealer near you...

http://www.weaverleather.com/Equine/DealerLocator.aspx

Look on page 248, this one does it all.

This machine is $1895.00

This machine is $1895.00

I didn't know the price when I gave the page number, you pay for convenience. When I started making hunting dog collars, I would punch the holes by hand. When I started to make 200 in a weekend, I had to find a better way. I bought a five ton punch press and had a die made where I could punch 5 holes at a time, either 1" of 3/4" spacing. I made a jig where when I fed the collar, it would be centered and the holes would be at an identical distance from the tip.

I didn't know the price when I gave the page number, you pay for convenience. When I started making hunting dog collars, I would punch the holes by hand. When I started to make 200 in a weekend, I had to find a better way. I bought a five ton punch press and had a die made where I could punch 5 holes at a time, either 1" of 3/4" spacing. I made a jig where when I fed the collar, it would be centered and the holes would be at an identical distance from the tip.

My Amish buddies have a jig like you are speaking of which goes in to a machine that looks like a foot press basically..It works very well and was probably around $400.00

Hi everyone,

I really would like to find something that works for me. Sounds like the weaver one is good, but its expensive, plus you have to be a dealer and Im not so access to one isn't an option for me. They make this really cool looking self centering punch. Would like to know if there are any others like there on the market. I know lots of you make belts, can someone give me a good lead on where I can find the tool I seek as mentioned in my first email which started this thread? Thanks so much folks.

NYIS

What I am seeing is basically two options. Buy one or build one.

Buy one: If you are going to buy one, your budget is the limiting factor and you usually get what you pay for. Cheap tools will typically yield cheap results. I just don't know how many companies actually have make one of these tools, so you might be stuck with reevaluating your budget due to a limited number of choices.

Build one: It might not be the easy route, but it's an option. You might be able to make your own, or depending on your skills and available tools, have someone assist you in that task. It might not be the cheaper route, either.

Basically a metal plate with threaded holes to accept the replacement hole punch ends and an end punch affixed to it somehow is what you are after. The other key is some way to apply enough force to press it into a leather strap. What I am thinking it something along the lines of a modified arbor press, a metal plate, some parts from Tandy or other supplier, and a big cutting mat/board to press against.