vicroll91

Bifold Wallets--Sizing The Outermost Layer

HI guys,

So I'm about to start in on a billfold, and I have heard that the outside layer of the bill fold is usually oversized slightly so as to allow for the pocket to open up a bit for retrieving cash.

About how much longer should I make this outside piece?

Thanks

What I've always used is add the thickness of the leather, for example using 4 oz I would add 1/16". I think some just add 1/8" regardless, that works as well. On tri-fold I add 2X the thickness because it folds twice. I'm sure other's have different methods, but these have always worked for me.

Chief

HI guys,

So I'm about to start in on a billfold, and I have heard that the outside layer of the bill fold is usually oversized slightly so as to allow for the pocket to open up a bit for retrieving cash.

About how much longer should I make this outside piece?

Thanks

The inner panel I make usually 1/2" shorter than the outside panel. That is the standard that works most of the time for me and I adjust from there depending on the style of wallet

I have a question along this same line. When the back of the wallet is larger than the interior how do you space the holes for lacing and have the same amount of holes in the inside as well as the outside? Or do you somehow go through some holes twice on the outside and once on the inside?

I have a question along this same line. When the back of the wallet is larger than the interior how do you space the holes for lacing and have the same amount of holes in the inside as well as the outside? Or do you somehow go through some holes twice on the outside and once on the inside?

You leave a section of the liner notched out and unlaced. The pic is old and worn, but you can get the idea from it.

post-2349-0-79136100-1414006186_thumb.jp

Thank you so much. That answers my question.