First time post, long time reader. Thank you in advance.

I have been saving for a machine for around a year. I went to pull the trigger on purchasing a new machine this morning, but figured that I would check craigslist first. To my surprise, there was a mint Cobra class 4 that was posted the day before. I called the guy, and arraigned to meet him later in the evening. Long story short, I drove an hour or so, and picked up a beautiful machine. Now to my question:

I am looking to make holsters and knife sheaths for myself and friends. I need to purchase thread, so I can use my machine. What type of thread should I be looking for? I see bonded, waxed, polyester, and other types. I am not sure which type to buy. Any help in which direction I should go, would be greatly appreciated.

I have used the search feature of the forums, and came up short.

First of all congrats on the class 4, you will love the machine.

For the thread I would go with a bonded nylon or polyester, bonded nylon holds up well and alot of holster makers use it and it serves them well. Polyester has a higher resistance to abrasion and UV light and works well for items that will be used outdoors or exposed to prolonged periods of sunlight.

As far as weight of the thread your cobra will handle anything between 69-415 thread. Hope that helps answer your question.

Good luck and God Bless

Circle T

The C4 comes with 277 thread top and bottom. I found 277 on top and 207 on bottom to work almost flawlessly. I sew two layers of 8-9 and two layers of 5-6 together all the time and my setup works great. I use a 25 needle. Some may say its too big and use a 23. Uh uh. I get great stitches and the holes ain't that big compared to the threads.

post-36503-0-47079900-1403669399_thumb.j

i use bonded nylon.

If you want to make it an easy process, . . . go to a local Tandy store, . . . they have large spools of thread from 346 down to I think 207.

Or call Kevin up at Springfield Leather, . . . he'll help you in a heartbeat.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've been using the Cobra Class 4 for four years now. Great machine, low maintenance, greater capabilities than I will ever require so I am never using the machine to capacity and it handles everything easily.

Leather Machine Company delivered mine set up with #277 bonded nylon. I have used that exclusively for both top and bottom threads and find that it does an excellent job for all of my holster, belt, and pouch needs including some that involve 5 or 6 layers of leather to be stitched through.