Sign in to follow this  
Amanda

Beginner Needshelp!

I am trying to start leather working but i dont have a clue where to begin. If anyone can help me i would really be thankful. Any help would me nice, if someone can recommend a book. I am wanting to make some horse tack.

Amanda,

I would suggest you visit your local Tandy Store, if that is not possible, go on line and check out their resources. In my opinion they have the best selection of basic instructional material all the way from the basics to how to make saddles. They are also a good resource for entry level tools, etc. Al Stohlman wrote a number of books 40 to 50 years ago that are as applicable today as they were then.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Hi Amanda,

You have come to the right place...lots of great people here with lots of help! Here is a great book available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble for making horse tack:

41YQ5JENFYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I make a lot of western gear and if you want some patterns, feel free to ask.

Hi Amanda,

I recommend a book that Tandy sells called 'Leatherwork Manual'. It was written by Al Stohlman and two others, and was designed as a class textbook for basic leatherwork. It starts off with casing leather, works through the basic tools for stamping and carving, and even takes you through several basic projects. It was the book I first stared with and it really teaches you a lot. It's not very expensive and will give you a good start in leather working.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Hi Amanda. Welcome to the best place on the internet!

I recommend getting the book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" by Stohlman. The "Art of Making Leather Cases" series (also by Stohlman) is another must have if you ever plan on making any type of case. The projects are a bit dated, but the info is still sound for construction basics.

I also recommend looking through old posts here; especially in the "Getting Started" section. And never be afraid to ask questions. There are so many helpful and friendly people here who are willing to share what they know.

Good luck, and enjoy the addiction craft!

Hi Amanda,

Welcome from another absolute beginner! I hope as you get started you'll post some pictures of your first work here, even if it's just stitching scraps. While it's inspiring to see all the amazing work posted here, I think it'll be helpful for those of us just getting started to post about those painful first steps, when you wonder if it's ever going to get better.

A couple days ago I ordered some of the Stohlman books recommended here, the hand sewing one, the cases series, and also one that was recommended elsewhere as a necessity, Leathercraft Tools: How To Use Them, How To Sharpen Them. Have a few more days 'til they arrive and then I'll start ordering tools and leather. Can't wait!

I look forward to hearing about how things are going as you get started.

Watch out Amanda!! If you get bit by the bug, a wallet can turn into a saddle in no time!! I'm fairly new to all this, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money (easy to do), I know Tandy sells a basic set of 6 stamps/tools that will get you going. I used those for a while until I got a better understanding of how to work with leather. They sell a start kit that has everything you need, but it's just that.... for starting out. A lot depends on your goal, however, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on high dollar tools until you get proficient with the basics. I really wouldn't spend a lot on high quality leather at first. If you can find someone who has scrap, even better.

Depending on what your goal is, beware that making even basic tack can quickly add up when it comes to buying various draw knives, round knives, and other tools.

I see you're from Troy, MO which is just a short stretch down the road from where I am. Check out S T Leather in downtown St. Louis. There's a Tandy store out near Fenton. If you want to contact me, I can get you a bunch of scrap, and can probably find time to show you what I've got for making tack and such. ST Leather has almost every type of leather you can imagine, but they deal in overstock type stuff and get a lot of their stock from Tandy, but they're much cheaper. They also care a number of books and other reference material to include books by Stohlman.

Hi Amanda,

I recommend a book that Tandy sells called 'Leatherwork Manual'. It was written by Al Stohlman and two others, and was designed as a class textbook for basic leatherwork. It starts off with casing leather, works through the basic tools for stamping and carving, and even takes you through several basic projects. It was the book I first stared with and it really teaches you a lot. It's not very expensive and will give you a good start in leather working.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Ditto on this book....I own it as well!