rktaylor

Replacing Breast Collar Dee

I need to replace the left side d-ring on this saddle. It is attached with a rawhide loop and a copper rivet. I don't have to use rawhide for the replacement, but it would be nice since the saddle has a rawhide cantle binding and horn wrap. Whether I reattach it with leather or rawhide, I need to replace the copper rivet. I was thinking about cutting a tiny hole in the fleece lining to get to the back of the rivet and then stitching it up when I am done. Am I way off base here? How is the best way to make this repair?

Thanks for any advice.

Randy

post-46116-0-93493700-1455303953_thumb.j

post-46116-0-66228200-1455303962_thumb.j

Hello Randy, I get a lot of these, which is one reason I HATE this method of putting in BC dees. I normally cut the stitches on the sheepskin and peel the corner back far enough to get the job done. It means handsewing the corner back up, and I have pondered doing what you asked about, but haven't ever been able to bring myself to do it. It's one of those jobs where the client says "Just a little job and shouldn't take much time". Ha Ha. If it's not a show saddle, I often try to talk the client into letting me put new dees in with a leather chape screwed into the bar, like I would if building new, pointing out that if I just fix the side that's broken, it still leaves the other side to tear out at a later date. There is usually little to no cost difference in putting the new dees in up higher over replacing just the one in the skirt.

Note: Not all breast collars fit well with the dees placed higher. DO check with your client on that!

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Thanks for the tips. I figure that I'm replacing both of them either way. I'm going to call him tomorrow with these options. It's not a show saddle, but he probably paid a month's wages for it when he was younger.

Randy

Randy, how did you end up replacing the dees?  I have the same issue.  Fleece on the saddle I am repairing is synthetic, so has mesh fabric backing.  I am curious to know if your method went well before I choose. Replacing dees by screwing to tree is not viable with owner I think  -- John

John,

I replaced the dee in its original position. I cut a small slot in the fleece (synthetic) just large enough to let me work. It was less than an inch. This allowed me to get the old rivet out and gave me enough room to work on the new one. Then I used some contact cement to glue the fleece to the skirt. I thought about sewing the fleece, but figured it wouldn't really help anyway. It was a pretty simple job.

Randy

Edited by rktaylor
grammar

Hmm, I think I'm going to try that next time I get a cheap older saddle in that someone doesn't want to put much money into. With no guarantees that the fleece won't open back up of course;)