mmirob

Od Book Press As Die Cutter?

Figure I'd ask here if anyone has ever tried using a vintage book press as a die cutter. Not sure you could get the torque but figure perhaps someone has tried and give me a go/no go answer.

Best, Rob

Rob,

If you can buy one really cheap, they work just alright for clicking out with small dies centered under the screw. They do work better for press molding with forms. The problem is that the antique dealers have some demand for them from decoraters and prices are usually $150 on up at the shops I see them at. I saw one at a shop for $75 last year and by the time I went to the ATM and came back a lady was carting it out. She designs in "country French" and bought it for the only reason that it had a Paris label on it. Wasn't meant to be. For the going price a decent shop press and some scrap steel plates is only a little more money and a lot more useful.

I got an old book press from my parents, and I use it for stamping into leathe, well, not really stamping but pressing, LOL. I do this because I don't have my shop press up and running yet, but I must say, it does the work. The pressure is great and devided all over the press, so I don't see why a bookpress couldn' be use with dies.... maybe I wrong, but I would say, try it, if you got one....

cheers,

Gunter

Rob,

If you can buy one really cheap, they work just alright for clicking out with small dies centered under the screw. They do work better for press molding with forms. The problem is that the antique dealers have some demand for them from decoraters and prices are usually $150 on up at the shops I see them at. I saw one at a shop for $75 last year and by the time I went to the ATM and came back a lady was carting it out. She designs in "country French" and bought it for the only reason that it had a Paris label on it. Wasn't meant to be. For the going price a decent shop press and some scrap steel plates is only a little more money and a lot more useful.

Indeed Bruce I have just learned that they are very expensive. I had hoped to save shop space by doing so. I imagine you are referring to an arbor press like those at harbor freight?? Basically a bottle jack pressing two steel plates together? A poor mans clicker! :o)

You can also get lever operated 1 to 3 ton arbor presses. SOme of the die makers sell them, but you can get a better price where they sell machining tools.