Sign in to follow this  
papaface29

Finish After Dye?

Hello all, this is my first post to this forum (but not my first visit!)

I have done leatherwork for probably 5 or more years but have never used a dye on a project. I just finished tooling a basketweave belt and am going to dye it black.

My question is, do I apply the dye--Fiebing's USMC black--and then a finish? (I think I have super sheen..)

Can I add atom wax after the dye but before the finish?

Last question, do I apply the dye before I burnish the edges? I guess I feel a little confused on the whole dye thing. Everything else I have made, I either just Neat-lac or super-sheen and call it good

Thanks in advance, I am really enjoying reading all the good stuff on here

Lorne

Hi Lorne,

Just my personal preference, but I always burnish AFTER dying my leather. Not really sure if it matters, but some burnishing formulas prevent the dye from penetrating the leather.

If your using Atom Balm Wax you will want to apply it BEFORE you apply your final finish.

So basically...

1) Dye

2) Burnish

3) Atom Balm

4) Super Sheen

At least that's how I'd do it ;)

For the most part, . . . Sixer has it nailed for me too, . . . the major exception is belts, . . . especially black ones.

I use a 1 HP motor, . . . it burnishes for all my belt edge burnishing.

I burnish, . . dye, . . . then re-touch the burnishing before final finishing.

For me it goes quicker before the dying process, . . . and even going over it a second time, . . . I save a bit of time.

AND,................... the double burnishing gives my belts a better job I think.

But you can do it the other way, . . . just remember to ALWAYS dye before any finishing process. Finish application is inclusive of that word, . . . FINSH, . . . meaning end or last.

May God bless,

Dwight

Many thanks to both of you, that helps clear things up. Now its time to get going again...

Lorne