Hello,

I am going to be making some custom dog collars and was wondering what the most animal friendly dye was? I would like to use the Fiebings pro dye but am not sure if it is safe for dogs. I want the best results possible but not at the expense of the dogs health. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also would like to ad I am going to be applying dye with an air brush don't know if that matters.

Anyhow thanks and God Bless!!

I'm no expert but I'll go out on a limb and say that any dye should be safe as long as the dog doesn't have allergies to it.

I go by the rule of: If I don't want it to get on my skin then it had better have a very good reason to be put on an animal.

I try to convince my buyers to go with black. That way, I use vinegaroon. Most folks like that when I explain what it's made from. If they really want colors, I try to go with water-based.

Spence I understand you go with water base, but why would you not use oil base?

As long as it's fully dry there isn't anything in the dye pigments that will hurt them just by touching them. If they eat the collar, you have more to worry about than just the dye!

I hate to recommend anything that is from Tandy, however, the new Pro Waterstain product they sell is fantastic. It comes in several colors and works better than most any alcohol based stains I have used. It is a water based product so it should be perfectly safe. In fact I used it on the collars I made my two labs. One thing to be aware of though, the red and blue colors are not true red and blue. I know that sounds strange but they are not what I would say true red and blue are. They are actually on sale now I believe, you definitely don't want to pay the normal Tandy rip off price,.

I agree with Ed about Tandy's Pro Water stain. As I run out of my alcohol stuff, I replace it with that. I pay the "Elite" prices, so it's worth it, to me.

minimize exposure by only dyeing the skin side of the leather if you glaze the edges that should act as a barrier