Sign in to follow this  

I'm suppose to be sending this holster out tomorrow, but the way it looks, its not going anywhere!

This black dye is really causing me trouble. As you can see in the pics, there are spots where the dye did not absorb. And I am perplexed because I even wiped the leather down with rubbing alcohol to open up the pores. It seemed to do the trick in the trouble spots I was seeing during the dyeing. Yet after I applied my final coating, then this showed up.

Can I save this holster? It's got dye, layer of Satin Sheen and a top of Tan Kote (yes, I know probably redundant, but applying satin sheen prior to Tan Kote is the only way I can get a smooth Tan Kote) :blush:

My suggestion would be to deglaze and re-dye. What black dye did you use? If it was the eco stuff, that may be the problem. But even if it is eco you should be able to get spirit dye to take over top of the eco. My opinions are hanging out here, can you tell I'm not a fan of eco dye? It works if you want a bright red or green or sky blue pink, but for the natural colors, I'll take Fiebings spirit dye every time.

jmho

David Theobald

Hey, Shorts, I've got a suggestion, but I don't know if you'll like it. Deglaze, and strip as much as you like, then make up a quick batch of vinegaroon.

You're still over in Japan, right? I know getting some spirit dye might be a problem, but you should be able to get your hands on white vinegar and some scrap metal (iron based). I'll post the pics of the holster I did in 'more vinegaroon ...' this A.M. I also did a holster for a snubbie, that I finished with edge cote, of all things. It turned out really well. After all the problems you've had with this batch of leather, I'm beginning to think you got a bad piece. Other options...well, can you get some charcoal and some Sake? There's your two ingredients- carbon and alchohol. You may even have to go with an oil based pigment, but here, I'm not familiar enough with the restrictions on shipping to be sure.

Edited by TwinOaks

Thank David. I did as you suggested, stripped the holster and did a solid redye. I've got the Tan Kote on there now and it's looking complete ( didn't bother with Satin Sheen, which may also be a problem by adding too much moisture back into the leather). The dye I use is Kiwi Leather shoe dye. Its what I get locally and I've used it for a few years without much trouble - until now. So, I don't know if its the leather it doesn't like or I'm becoming lax in my process. Either way, I need to get it figured out, this is the 2nd or 3rd holster that's give me trouble. I wish I could get some good dye but unfortunately the only dye I can have shipped to me is EcoFlo. I might give it a whirl if Kiwi keeps doing me wrong. Of course, I can do the vinegaroon method. I just need to be sure to seal it well. I'm still unsure if it'll react with a pistol or not.

Well, thanks again. Looks like I'll be getting this holster out tomorrow as planned.

Edit: Thanks Mike. I posted at the same time as you and didn't see your response. Yup still in Japan. I may go to the vinegaroon. It'll be cheaper and more abundant, as well as will dye my leather like I need it. I also think I got a bad piece of leather. I never had these issues before. I've got the jug of vinegar and the rusty metal on hand. Matter of fact, it's an eyesore as it sits on the deck (rusting grill from the fire pit we took to a friends house) :whistle: Do you think a seal of Tan Kote will do the trick after a dip in the vinegaroon? I'd hate to send out a holster that starts eating guns. You said you used Aussie to finish it. I have not found any locally but I'll see if I can have it shipped to me.

Edited by Shorts