SouthernCross

I Keep Breaking My Stitching Awl!

Is there anything I can do? I've been using the Tandy stitching awl and every time I mistakenly twist it or the leather gives a bit as I'm punching through, it ends up breaking. I just trashed my third one in the past couple of months.

Any suggestions as to perhaps another brand or type of awl I can try that won't break so easily. I'm using the Tandy one with the non-replaceable tip.

Have you tried sharpening it so it goes in easily?

Yes. It just seems that if I get ever-so-slightly out of alignment it ends up breaking.

I'd try a different model or brand for sure.

I'd recommend mine, if I knew what it was <g>... It was given to me years ago and is still ticking along.

Make sure the blade is well bedded within the haft - I had a similar problem for a bit.

Well, the ones from Tandy "are what they are", no adjusting. This is the one I've been using:http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/31218-01.aspx

I'd lay down the money and buy a Douglas blade, and a haft from any one of several sellers (Barry King, and Bearman come right to mind).

The Douglas blades are very sharp and are made from good steel.

I don't remember their website right this second, but if you do a quick search you will find them.

Edited by FlHobbyist