Well I have been lurking a lot and reading trying to learn. But, I have not found exactly what I wanted to ask. I have seen loads of awesome looking holsters and a lot of great advice. My question is what are the basic tools,and there general prices, that I need to get started in holster making. also what oz leather is best? what area of the hide should I use? the entire hide?

thanks for the advice in advance! :thumbsup:

Well I have been lurking a lot and reading trying to learn. But, I have not found exactly what I wanted to ask. I have seen loads of awesome looking holsters and a lot of great advice. My question is what are the basic tools,and there general prices, that I need to get started in holster making. also what oz leather is best? what area of the hide should I use? the entire hide?

thanks for the advice in advance! thumbsup.gif

2 places I just found might help (I am brand new, as well). The very top of this thread has a FANTASTIC tutorial about making western holsters. If you are looking for more modern or autos try www.jdlawhon.com Hope it helps. PEACE

If you are looking for more modern or autos try www.jdlawhon.com Hope it helps. PEACE

The jdlawhon site is a great link - he lists most of the tools you'll need, although some can be substituted and/or omitted altogether. That tutorial is specifically at this link: http://www.jdlawhon.com/beltslide.html

But, there's a lot of things about this that are all about preference. For concealment type holsters, anywhere from 7-10oz is typical for pancakes while 6-7oz is used for iwb styles. I personally feel that 7-8oz is a perfect balance for me to create both styles, and I have come to that conclusion by trying weights higher and lower than that. Your mileage may vary.

I suggest hitting up your local Tandy and scoring a 7-8oz shoulder to play with. Nothing fancy, if it's on sale, snag it - I'd wager you won't spend more than $30 on leather. Work with it and see what you think. Follow the tutorials you've read and search this forum for even more. Be sure to post when you're done - I'm sure you'll get all the friendly comments and crtiques you need.

You've already found the best resource on the web for this, though.

Oh yeah, and WELCOME!!! :whistle:

The jdlawhon site is a great link - he lists most of the tools you'll need, although some can be substituted and/or omitted altogether. That tutorial is specifically at this link: http://www.jdlawhon.com/beltslide.html

But, there's a lot of things about this that are all about preference. For concealment type holsters, anywhere from 7-10oz is typical for pancakes while 6-7oz is used for iwb styles. I personally feel that 7-8oz is a perfect balance for me to create both styles, and I have come to that conclusion by trying weights higher and lower than that. Your mileage may vary.

I suggest hitting up your local Tandy and scoring a 7-8oz shoulder to play with. Nothing fancy, if it's on sale, snag it - I'd wager you won't spend more than $30 on leather. Work with it and see what you think. Follow the tutorials you've read and search this forum for even more. Be sure to post when you're done - I'm sure you'll get all the friendly comments and crtiques you need.

You've already found the best resource on the web for this, though.

Oh yeah, and WELCOME!!! whistle.gif

hmmmm.

another place is check out chuck burrows' videos on western holsters and knife sheath making videos. you can find him at wild rose trading company

also while you are the tandy leatherfactory store get the al stolhman book on holster making.

then go to www.hidecrafter.com and look at his books, patterns and videos about holster making.

most of these are for western style.

if you are going to make auto style holsters not western style then keep reading here.

as i dont know where else to look for auto mondern style holster making

I started with the jdlawhorn link that was already posted. It got me started enough to want to keep trying rolleyes.gif

As far as books I really like Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather". There is more info on hand stitching in that book than I'll ever need in my lifetime. I think the Tandy website has it for about $10.00

I find the Stohlman books to be full of good info in an easy to follow, concise style.

Bronson

thanks for all the advice! The closest tandy leather store to me is a couple of hours away. there is a local leather shop near me with entire 8oz hides for $8.50 a square ft is that to expensive or should i just drive to tandy?

8.50 sounds high IMO. a full side could be a bit much for your first. Call Springfield Leather they should be able to give you a better price and they will cut so you don't get stuck with a lot of leather , a side will make a lot of holsters.

BTW shipping on the leather is not as bad as one would think. and if you have questions springfield will answer them.

Kevin must have spent 30 min on the phone with me on my first order. (PLUG):P

I noticed in the newest tandy mailer they offer kits for western and now auto holsters, might be a good place to start as it is already cut and holes are punched, Will Ghormley has some great patterns for western holsters and belts, and Bianchi has a DVD set on holster making. Pretty much you could make due with a minimum of tools for your first one like a pattern, a razor knife or very sharp leather sissors, an edger, some waxed thread and a couple of egg eyed leather needles, a hole punch or a drill/dremel with a 1/16 drill bit and a few other things that make certain procedures easier. If you make the trip to tandy they usually have scrap bin that sometimes has good sized pieces at reasonable cost, plus face to face info would be invaluable as far as tips and tricks to make working with leather easier. Of course these things are just my opinion and worth every penny I charge!:rofl: This was one of my 1st ones with a very minimum of tools.And a more recent one with more tools

PC220335.JPG

Ruger44mag3.JPG

post-4868-125437470805_thumb.jpg

post-4868-125437522296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

8.50 sounds high IMO. a full side could be a bit much for your first. Call Springfield Leather they should be able to give you a better price and they will cut so you don't get stuck with a lot of leather , a side will make a lot of holsters.

BTW shipping on the leather is not as bad as one would think. and if you have questions springfield will answer them.

Kevin must have spent 30 min on the phone with me on my first order. (PLUG):P

they said they will cut it to however much I want. i may just make a trip to tandy..

I also think $8.50 is too high. Tandy can get you squared away with some practice material for about $4 / sq ft. I think. I also second talking to Kevin. I bought some leather from him recently and will be using him exclusively from now on.

The closest tandy leather store to me is a couple of hours away.

You can also order directly from Tandy's website http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ if they don't have something in the store (my little local shop doesn't have any books).

Bronson

Hit Kevin up for some of that herman oak stuff that he has for like 4.79 ft. That stuff rocks, I just got into the side I picked up and man I really like working with this leather.

sweet! thanks for the help guys!

Good morning, for what it's worth, I use a lot of 4-5 oz shoulder leather. Keep your eyes open for the sales from Tandy and you can score some ggod stuff for a really decent price. Don't be afraid to order from the internet...they forward your order to the store closest to you. As to the light weight leather, I bond two layers together, rough side to rough side, so that the completed holster is smooth inside and out. Takes a bit of sewing though, but that can increase you hand strength (LOL) Here's a sample of what two layers can produce. Keep working and enjoy the craft!! Mike

003-5.jpg

004-7.jpg

001-9.jpg