Sign in to follow this  
cleanview

Learning As We Go (2 More Holsters)

1911 avenger

Pretty happy with this one. The tighter stitch line was added after the beginning of the forming. That line is the hardest part of the pattern for me.

I adjusted my pattern and plan on making another one of these. I want to bring the gun down on the belt and no cant.

post-23581-0-03957300-1357820869_thumb.j

post-23581-0-03957300-1357820869_thumb.j

A work holster for my bersa bp9cc. Yes it has a serious cant. It is made for the purpose work wear. I wear a work belt and this is an experiment to accomodate carry while working.

Over all I was pleased with this one.

I put the extra rivet thinking that would be an extra stress point. I put the hole thinking of a smaller rivet, so the rivet hangs over and probably was not even needed,

One learning note about forming. That sucker was TIGHT to get in there! But the fit is the best I have had for retention (the avenger above is loose as a goose for action shooting sports) . Also learned alot when boning. I forgot to do any boning for about 2 hours on the avenger above and it woked alot better. Very interesting figuring that process out. It seems like carving as simply forming it to the metal

post-23581-0-40688200-1357820915_thumb.j

post-23581-0-42223300-1357820934_thumb.j

Well my friends all say wow! But they dont usually know what to look for. This group does. So any pointers are welcome.

post-23581-0-76514300-1357820852_thumb.j

Edited by cleanview

I would not expect the 1911 in the avenger style holster to sit well on the belt. Normally it needs the belt loops to position belt across the trigger guard for it to balance right. Even for match use you would not want it "loose as a goose" as things wear in its not going to get tighter and a gun coming out of the holster while running or dropping prone is not going to go over well. That does not mean it needs to be so tight its hard to draw. The holsters I have done so far will hold the gun with the holster turned upside down but its a smooth easy draw that feels almost like drawing from kydex. For action shooting maybe you should think of more of a pouch style holster then an avenger. Check the rules for which "action shooting sport" for holsters since IDPA is different from IPSC/USPAS for what they allow. Maybe something more like this picture from Wilson Tactical

p1blr15.jpg

thanks for the comment. Loose as a goose just means compared to a conceal carry rig. It will not fall out when running moving. Maybey I should have worded that differnetly. The gun fit in perfectly, then I put a thin peice of kydex on each side of the slide and they gave me what I was lookng for. The next one will be lowered as I mentioned.

I would not expect the 1911 in the avenger style holster to sit well on the belt. Normally it needs the belt loops to position belt across the trigger guard for it to balance right. Even for match use you would not want it "loose as a goose" as things wear in its not going to get tighter and a gun coming out of the holster while running or dropping prone is not going to go over well. That does not mean it needs to be so tight its hard to draw. The holsters I have done so far will hold the gun with the holster turned upside down but its a smooth easy draw that feels almost like drawing from kydex. For action shooting maybe you should think of more of a pouch style holster then an avenger. Check the rules for which "action shooting sport" for holsters since IDPA is different from IPSC/USPAS for what they allow. Maybe something more like this picture from Wilson Tactical

p1blr15.jpg

Happen to have a pic of the other side?

Happen to have a pic of the other side?

No but it uses a seperate belt loop that looks like this:

P1BACK.JPG

So I guess its has three screws on the back for it ;)

Good job on the holsters. I have a couple of opinions/observations.

The 1911 holster - I would be careful with the "full length" sight tunnel. My mentor always said that doing that will definitely have the holster getting loose over time. He always told me to make sure the mouth of the holster was against the gun. This makes the mouth fit the trigger guard and slide so it can't get any more "free play". Hope that make sense. On the boning I would use a less blunt object. This will make the lines cleaner.

The Bersa holster - It doesn't sound like much but I would be careful of having the 90 degree corner down by the muzzle end. More of a curve will make it ride and wear much more comfortably.

I like the stamping on both. It gives the holsters a nice look. Holding my opinion on the stamping going over the belt loop hole. Not sure how I feel about that one yet. But good job I like the overall look.