Sign in to follow this  
Opagon

8 foot reins in Roo

This is a set of 8 foot reins in Roo in camel with light green accents. They are an 8 plait in what I like to call my Girly width. Having small hands I like the smaller width. I went to for clips because I switch to different headstalls alot.

Picture_038.jpg

The second set is my working cow horse romal reins that I am hoping to be able to use one day. (Need to get my horse back in training.) When I started this project I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I do not use tape under my knots, instead I use a spanish ring knot to get my shape. My final count on the knots was 249. I was so happy to put the last knot on this set that I danced around the house to my Husbands embarrassment.Picture_044.jpgPicture_042.jpg

Let me know if you would like to see more of my work.

Opagon

post-5205-1194655978_thumb.jpg

post-5205-1194656641_thumb.jpg

post-5205-1194657002_thumb.jpg

Of course we want to see more of your work. I know nothing of horse gear but I can still appreciate the talent that went into making such fine leather equipment.

Jim

Heck yes I want to see more.

If I could braid half that well I be dancing around the whole county!

Mike

Opagon Very nice work I like the green accents. I would also like to see more of your work. Mike

Very nice and i too would like to see more, Don

Very nice work indeed, like the others...more please...

Ken

I don't usually post to many forums, but I could not pass on telling you how nice these pieces are. Thank you for sharing theses pictures with us.

Thanks for all the nice comments, I really appreciate them. Most of the projects I do in Roo so I can leave it when the kids start being kids. I well try and post some more of my work for everyone to see and give suggestions on. I am hoping to turn this hobby into a business so if you see ways for me to improve my work, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks again,

Opagon aka Heather

Heather, Are you cutting your own lace? Do you do any rawhide braiding? I like the work. Very nice indeed. On the working set sometimes less is more but that is just my opinion others may want that many knots but I would call something with that many knots "fancy". As far as function goes all the links would also take it off what I would call a working set. Not putting your work down just trying to offer helpful criticism. Maybe a better fill of the space would be longer knots with out so many ring knots to add variation. Definitely, keep on braiding. Things really took a change for me when i started making my ow lace and selling items, not just making them to keep.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Here I am walking down the street! And children, everything is so sweet
Bob Marley - Caution

Allen,

I made the working cow romals for myself. (I wanted something fancy for the show pen, being a Girly-girl and all.) I have another set linked the same that I have been thinking about braiding on but wanted to make some headstalls first. One of the biggest things that I had a hard time with was the weight. I put on some long pineapples on the first couple of links and then took them off again cause they didnt "feel" right for me. I am open to suggestions on what to put on the next set!!

I have a Lace Master that Steve Derricott makes that works well for the amount of lace that I use. I like it cause it's small and I can clamp it onto the dinning room table where I end up doing most of my work. I thought that it was funny that he included a couple of bandaids in the box, Funny until I had to use one. I laughed again later but with a little wince when I tried to pick something up.

I try to work with rawhide as much as I can but am a little scared to start a big project until I can get a couple of hours away from the kids. Every time I get started they seem to know Mom's busy so lets get into something. They are really good kids just very active. I really want to make a nice set of romals but I have a gut feeling that once the rawhide is ready my kids will find a way to make me have to stick it in the freezer and try again later. I did try once after I put them to bed but I was so wiped that everything kept coming out crooked. Next year my youngest will be in school so I hope that will inable me to switch back over to more rawhide than roo. (Who needs a clean house when there is braiding to do!!)

The last round of just rawhide (other than accent knots) was when I was playing with some scarf slides. If you look close enough you can see which ones I did when I should have been in Bed. I was playing with some dyes and coffee soaks and these are what I ended up with. More practice and I'll get these little buggers just right.

BraidingPhotos_126.jpgBraidingPhotos_127.jpg

Please keep the comments coming, that is why I am here, to learn how to improve.

Heather

post-5205-1194737919_thumb.jpg

post-5205-1194738446_thumb.jpg

Charlie,

The splits reins in the photo are done in Kangaroo over a 3/4 diameter core. If measured with a flat ruler the core is 1/8 of an inch wide. My cores vary from braided leather, rolled leather to climbers rope depending on the feel I am going for.

Hope that helps,

Heather