Sign in to follow this  
yuliya

Knife Sheath

I got a Buck hunting knife for my birthday last weekend. I really like the knife but the sheath is just boring, so I want to try to make one.

I never really done anything with leather, I got myself a hide and few tools two years ago tried a couple of things, but was scared to do the actual project.

So the first question is what is the minimum and ideal thickness of leather would be required for this? The reason I ask for the minimum is because I have some leather, but after looking at it last night I think it might be too thin:-(

Yuliya

If what you have is very thin, you can glue it up back to back and double the thickness (not first choice, but you can use what you have this way). Also it needs to be vegtable tanned, not chrome tanned, meaning the leather needs to be hard, not soft and flexable.

Aaron

Another thing you can do, . . . go to a leather store and buy a piece of rawhide, . . . big enough to line the inside of the sheath.

I use it in almost every one I make, . . . it is a good stiffener, . . . and it takes one heck of a beating, . . . especially if it is a sharp knife and/or has a very sharp point.

For a knife sheath for a big Buck knife, . . . I would use 8 oz leather, . . . which when measured, will be 1/8 of an inch thick, . . . or .125 inches, . . . nothing thinner, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I would use 8 oz leather, . . . which when measured, will be 1/8 of an inch thick, . . . or .125 inches, . . . nothing thinner, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I think mine is about 1/8" thick, but I couldn't remember what weight I bought as it was a while back. I am trying to use what I have before I go and spend more money, so if it's not think enough, I'll double check, I might have to postpone it and do something else. So basically if I will buy a new hide I should be buying 8-10oz?

yuliya

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I think mine is about 1/8" thick, but I couldn't remember what weight I bought as it was a while back. I am trying to use what I have before I go and spend more money, so if it's not think enough, I'll double check, I might have to postpone it and do something else. So basically if I will buy a new hide I should be buying 8-10oz?

yuliya

If you have 8 oz leather, . . . do it, . . . it makes a good sheath for most purposes.

May God bless,

Dwight

You will get better with every project you attempt. Some may not come out like you want, but you will need to get past these projects to see your improvement. I know you don't want to do something and think you may be wasting money. You won't be wasting anything as you will be gaining the experience and knowlage that you are getting better. That is worth the $$. Think about it like this...Practice cost time and money. If you want it you have to give both.

Good Luck,

Ken

You will get better with every project you attempt. Some may not come out like you want, but you will need to get past these projects to see your improvement. I know you don't want to do something and think you may be wasting money. You won't be wasting anything as you will be gaining the experience and knowlage that you are getting better. That is worth the $. Think about it like this...Practice cost time and money. If you want it you have to give both.

Good Luck,

Ken

I know you are right.

thank you.

Yuliya