Sign in to follow this  
Soybomb

Patches for Saddlebags

I told a coworker I'd put a couple patches over some wear spots on his motorcycles saddle bags that are going to wear through. My understanding is that the belly tends to be less stiff and more stretchy than the shoulder, but is it any more or less resistant to abrasion? I have both...

If the bags go skidding down the highway at 60 mph it isn't going to matter what kind of leather it is, it will get road rash. If you want to patch the leather on the bags, either the belly or shoulder will work, but if you think the spots are going to recieve more than ordinary wear where the patches go, consider black latigo or veg tan 8/9 oz or heavier. Bellies vary so much in their thickness and stretch, that you'll have to evaluate what you have, as to whether it's suitable. It's not uncommon for bellies to be thinner than the rest of the hide, especially at the back or shoulder area. That's just the nature of the beast. (Oh, bad pun...)

Johanna

It looks like they're a fairly cheap set of bags so I don't know if its the fit or the construction but they seem to be wearing where they rub on parts of the bike itself now and then. Looks like a small hole is being worn by the shock or something.... Good point just on thickness though. The shoulder I have is 7/8 and the belly is piece is supposedly 5/6 so I might as well just go thicker.

Thanks!