tat2

making a leather camera case

Hello Everyone. I seem to be getting a lot of requests to make custom leather cases for digital camera's. I started to make one then saw the issue of how to sew the bottom of the case to the side... I'm lost here as It kinda look like you sewing the bottom and the side sideways...

here is an image showing what I would like to do. pls PM me if you have made cases before. There was a fella to made a couple but I cannot find him.

THanks

Luigi makes awesome cases,i am new to leather but i read a tutorial on doing leather cups.In that tutorial they beveled both pieces of leather at 45 degrees and sewed through both just as if you were doing a belt.I imagine it to be a very hard thing to master.Good luck and hopefully some one with more experience can give directions on how to do the beveling and sewing.

My understanding is you bevel the edges to 45 degrees,glue the two edges together then sew through them.The threads you see on both sides of the case are the same thread,just like a belt but at an angle.I would do several practice pieces first as the tutorial claimed getting the positioning of the needle correct is hard.

Edited by analogphotographer

Tat2,

Believe it or not this is not nearly as hard as it may seem. That is, if you get off the beaten path and take another approach to the problem. I've made dozens of this type of case and being self taught I use a method that is simular but different at the same time. (See: The Book of Leather Work.)

The photos below are of a cartridge box made for a SASS Shooter and was made using the methods I will show . . . . later. I have to draw up a tutorial for you and put it in a PDF format so give me a day or two and I'll get it to you.

This process can be done with just a little bit of practice and there is no glue involved if you want the best results.

I'll be in touch,

Jim

Cartridge_Box.jpg

Cartridge_Box_2.jpg

post-141-1249222947_thumb.jpg

post-141-1249222954_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Excellent tutorial - I've made cases and boxes that way for ages but not heard it described so well before.

The only additional thing I now do is to brace the inside using a wooden form if the leather is a bit wobbly. It helps keep it in shape when pushing the awl through.

Also, and this may just be an accuracy problem on my part, I push the awl through slowly and check where it's going to come out - if it's not in the mark for the stitch I pull back a bit and try to get it dead centre to keep the stitches lined-up.

I did a case last week for a mobile phone, first case I've made for ages, and box=stitched the sides in place. It went together like a dream so I started making a round box yesterday and it is turning out to be a complete nightmare and I'm doing nothing different. Must just be one of those days (or weeks).

Gary

Good job on the tutorial Jim!

Bob

What an excellent tutorial . . . superb illustrations and understandable text! :thumbsup:

Tat, get this book...great one....

IMG_9887.jpg

Jim- I'd like to post your lesson on the tips and tricks page if it's okay with you. Excellent explanation- thank you for sharing.

Johanna

THank you all for your ideas and PDF files!!

So my next question is can you sew the bottom part on a sewing machine? There must is a quicker way to do this, I 'm looking at making a whole bunch of these cases....Currently using the Adler 205-64 and the Junker nad RUH

THank you all for your ideas and PDF files!!

So my next question is can you sew the bottom part on a sewing machine? There must is a quicker way to do this, I 'm looking at making a whole bunch of these cases....Currently using the Adler 205-64 and the Junker nad RUH

I think there is a type of machine that sews the angle stitch. I haven't seen one, but I have heard of it. I discussed this this with a fellow a few years ago who said I was "nuts" for doing this work by hand. I replied . . . "So, what's your point?" (See the cartridge box below.)

With that, doing it by hand is a task, but it's not nearly as hard or time consuming as it seems. Once everything is laid out and pre-punched, it all goes together pretty fast.

Oh yeah - Johanna, I'd be honored. Hmm, I just might write another book and elaborate the details further than the last two books.

1812_Cartridge_Box.jpg

post-141-1249615229_thumb.jpg

When stitching a round object like Gary's doing, it's important to remember that you're sewing on a radius. Simple geometry says the stitches on the outer piece have to be spaced further apart than the inside. It might help to take a protractor and lightly scribe the degrees on the leather. If that isn't available, you could mark the outer spacing and hold a string at the center of the radius to line up the inside hole. That should help keep the stitching spaced evenly (but not the same front and back) on both sides of the curve.

Good point T.O. The thing to do is if you're spacing the stitches at 3/16" space the stitches on the case at 1/4". That is only the stitch placements that sew around the curve. This has served me well when installing sewn in toe plugs on my Cheyenne and California style holsters.

So my next question is can you sew the bottom part on a sewing machine?

Forum member Steve Brambley (SteveBrambley) has a couple of machines that are capable of stitching the corners of boxes etc at a 45 degree angle.

I think they're pretty hard to find, but I'm sure he'd be happy to let you know what you should be looking for. Why not drop him a pm?