Cassian

Burnishing Messes Up My Straight Lines.

I generally cut pretty straight lines, but when I'm done burnishing the leather has bent and it no longer looks neat. I'm guessing that I'm pressing down to hard as I burnish, but have yet to find a way around this. Any ideas?

How much of the edge are you wetting? What thickness of leather?

I've only had this problem burnishing thin leather, and adding to much water/soap exacerbates the issue.

I just spent a night struggling burnishing a clutch made of goat skin and 2oz leather with a wood burnisher. after several attempts of wetting and rubbing just couldn't do it, the leather kept bending so I was getting uneven pressure....if any at that! Finally after about giving up I put some beeswax on the edges and laid it flat on the table, held it down, and just rubbed each side, enough to build up some heat, with a t-shirt rag that was on my bench top and to my amazement I finally got a burnish that would be up to par with the Pro's...MPO

I just spent a night struggling burnishing a clutch made of goat skin and 2oz leather with a wood burnisher. after several attempts of wetting and rubbing just couldn't do it, the leather kept bending so I was getting uneven pressure....if any at that! Finally after about giving up I put some beeswax on the edges and laid it flat on the table, held it down, and just rubbed each side, enough to build up some heat, with a t-shirt rag that was on my bench top and to my amazement I finally got a burnish that would be up to par with the Pro's...MPO

Yeah, I just go straight to beeswax on thin leather.

I generally edge what ever then spray a little water on the edge burnish with a piece of deer antler. Then edge again ( if and it needs it and it will probely will be rolled over some ) the spay a little water on the edge again and finish burnishing with a piece of cardboard from a cracker box, cold drink box anything like that and 99.9% of the time get a nice smooth straight edge with a nice burnish. If it's going to be dyed black i burnish before i dye the edge and put a little extra black dye on the edge and buff it the best you can before the finish. That works a lot better for me than trying to burnish a black dyed edge.

I did notice it does look like crap if you attempt to burnish without trimming/beveling the edges. The curved surface of the beveled on flat edge seemed to push leather to form how ever your burnisher is moved

How much of the edge are you wetting? What thickness of leather?

I've only had this problem burnishing thin leather, and adding to much water/soap exacerbates the issue.

It's 8oz and I usually just go over it once or twice with a wet wool dauber.

It's 8oz and I usually just go over it once or twice with a wet wool dauber.

You shouldn't be having much trouble with 8 ounce leather, unless maybe its cheaper leather that doesn't have good temper to start with.

When I wet the edges on my leather, I run a sopping wet rag/paper towel with saddle soap along the edges once. I found if I only wet 4-5 inches at a time, I can focusing on burnishing smaller sections at once and I end up with better results.

I did notice it does look like crap if you attempt to burnish without trimming/beveling the edges. The curved surface of the beveled on flat edge seemed to push leather to form how ever your burnisher is moved

I also bevel/sand it. Could it be the quality of leather that I'm using. I'm still buy pretty cheap leather from Tandy so my mistakes aren't pricey.

I also bevel/sand it. Could it be the quality of leather that I'm using. I'm still buy pretty cheap leather from Tandy so my mistakes aren't pricey.

I almost bet that cheap leather is causing your trouble.

I almost bet that cheap leather is causing your trouble.

It most certainly does, although I have had 'high quality' tooling leather that has done the same, not often though.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the tips and hopefully I'll have some better luck with higher quality hides. Do you guys have any suggestion on where to get mid-ranged hides to try out?

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the tips and hopefully I'll have some better luck with higher quality hides. Do you guys have any suggestion on where to get mid-ranged hides to try out?

I started buying all my leather from Hide House in Napa, CA