Sign in to follow this  
usmc0341

How do you guys cut your belt slots in on a pancake type holster?

How do you guys cut your belt slots in on a pancake type holster? I have used a drill and then cut in between the two holes, but wondering if anyone else had a different way of doing it.

Brian

0341....... if you dont have the bag punch, use a round drive punch, punch hole

at the top and bottom then connect the with your knife.

Thanks Luke, it would seem that I need some more tools.........thank God Christmas is coming.

Hey mortar man! :thumbsup: I use bag punches, but what Luke's saying is versatile and inexpensive and requires less sharpening and of course more skill and a lot cleaner that a bit. What's on the Chirstmas wish list? Tools! can't have too many TOOLS! ;)

I'm not even sure what a bag punch is so I'm guessin I don't have one, it will be on my list. The tube punch seems like the best method that I have available right now. I'm guessin you are a Marine since you know my MOS, so Semper Fi and thanks for the info. I'm learning so much on here, only wish I had more time!

Thanks, I didn't want to sound like an idiot for not knowing what that was, but I googled it and all I got was punching bags. Do they make them the actual size of a belt slot that all I would have to do is punch it one time?

Yes they generally do make them the size that you need. However with that said sometimes you may need one that is thicker (the material going through it is thicker than normal-----maybe two or three thicknesses of leather). Then you would have to utilize a regular punch (some people like to use a drill press for cutting holes with regular puches) on each end (making sure that the diameter of the hole will accommodate the increased thickness) and then cut between them with a knife. Edging and finishing the slot follow after that.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

After 30-some years of doing this, I still use a hole punch and cut between for belt slots. I generally use a straight edge between the holes, but I start at one hole and cut about half way, then turn around and start at the other hole and cut back to the original cut. The problem is, if you cut all the way across and into the end hole, as the knife emerges from the leather into the hole, whatever force you were using will cause the blade to shoot across the hole and into the outside...where you didn't want any cuts! Guess how I know that?

As far as not knowing what a tool was doesn't make you an idiot. We were all idiots whan we started out, and according to my bride, some of us still are...

Semper fi!

Mike

Haaaaaaaaa, thanks Mike, and my bride would probably agree. As far as the cutting with a knife, I have made the mistake of cutting all the way down too. It never even crossed my mind to flip it over, I learn something new everyday.

I'm in process to make my first pancacke holster too.

So. How to burnish inside the slots ???

Tks.

Regards from Brazil.

Got to thinking about your situation. I have always punched holes too and cut the slits from each side twoards the center. Most of the time my holes are not evenly centered so when I cut the slits it becomes even more obvious.

Then I got a brainstorm and it worked really well.

Take your dividers and set them the width of the hole that you are punching (#2, #3, etc.) Find the center of the strap and straddle the line in the center of the leather with your dividers and scribe the length that you want.

Now you can see if it is centered before you punch and cut, and you already have:

1-guide lines for the holes and

2- guides for the cuts to be made.

To prevent 'over-cutting', I would scribe the parallel lines between the two holes then use a bag chisel to cut out the slot.

A bone folder or a strip of canvas/denim works well for burnishing the inside?

Here's a quick tip if you don't want to use a knife to cut between punched holes you and you have a bag or oblong punch. Use the bag punch to cut/punch out the straight edges and then you don't have to worry about overcuts with the knife if that worries you.

Regards,

Ben

I use a half moon wood chisel about 1/4 of an inch. Then cut with a straight edge to make the slot. I also cut the top and bottom edges for edge relief and edge slicking.