Kcinnick

Advice For A New Cowboy Owner

So I have a brand new Cowboy 4500.

I am grooving with a versa groover with a medium tip to groove for 277 thread. The issue I run into is for part of some of my runs the needle will mark outside of the grove, it puts a little triangle nick in the leather, its not even a hole, more like an indentation. The versa groover makes perfectly straight grooves, its amazing how easy it is to use. Do I need a wider groove or is there a way to eliminate the indentations. From my research the medium tip is appropriate for 277 thread.The stitch looks very nice and lays down perfect in the grove, just little nicks on the sides from the needle. I am taking it very, very slow, this is my first time with a machine.

Thanks,

Nick

It might be the contour of the leather point needle that's protruding slightly outside your gouge line. You could either gouge a slightly wider channel, or move the edge in slightly. Or, try using a different type of needle, that doesn't stick out on the sides as much.

I sew for a friend at his shop, on his Cobra and Adler 30-70 patcher, and he prefers that I use regular sharp point needles, rather than leather point. They produce a straight stitch line and don't cut outside a groove line (except for operator error!).

Just a thought.

Edited by Wizcrafts

If you're using LR point needles, try rotating it just a tiny bit so the edges are a little more in-line.

If you're using LR point needles, try rotating it just a tiny bit so the edges are a little more in-line.

If you do rotate the leather point needles, try to do so in a direction that places the loop more in the path of the pick-up point, than away from it. Or else...

I got some regular round point needles, and they do make a pretty stitch line, but I am still getting marks on my groove lines, on both sides. I guess I just needed a wider groove. I guess I will be ordering a wide tip for my versa groover from sheridan. Funny, every post I can find about choosing tip widths suggests the medium tip for 277, and the wide for 346 and up. The needle gets warm much faster than a leather point needle, but I don't think its a problem at the speeds I go right now....

Nick